Hello all, SIM reader and videos.

Talk about the videos and projects (SIM reader, payphones...)

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
code-monkey

Hello all, SIM reader and videos.

Post by code-monkey »

Hi all. This is my 1st post. I watched episode 1 of Citizen Engineer ages ago, but watched it again today while browsing a video sharing/how to site, so I thought it would be a good idea to join the community to keep on top of any updates. That and the fact that from what I remember several adafruit projects have been featured on Hack-a-Day.

Thoroughly enjoyed episode 1, and I look forward to amy more that may come about. I thought making the SIM card reader would be cool, but when I saw a NOT gate I assumed the software would be communicating with the reader with a low level protocol as opposed to RS232 Serial, such as a microcontroller programmer I have that isn't compatible with USB-RS232 Serial bridges for this reason.

So I then bought a USB SIM reader that I knew the driver for which was a USB serial bridge, so I could write my own application for, as I use a MacBook. Later I thought that as there was no microcontroller (except for the SIM) on the board then the SIM must use a serial protocol. I'm guessing the on-board chip is some kind of level shifter?? Am I even in the same ballpark. I may be ranting, but it 5AM and I should probably sleep.

One question I had was would any possible episode 2 be able to include community submissions if they were up to the same quality as the original video? That way it may be able to include many different aspects of hacking, reverse engineering, and modification of hardware.

One other thing I am experimenting with at the moment is wireshark, and looking into Video-on-Demand services, MSN messenger protocol, and the Facebook Chat application, just to figure out how it works, and the communication between the client and server. It's probably already been done, but it's interesting to figure it out for yourself.

I really haven't written hardly any code since I switched to Mac, which is a shame really as the only reason I switched to Mac was so I could run the iPhone SDK, however my Phone got dropped in a pint, and it wasn't insured so that was the end of that.

Anyway, I'm going to sleep now. I look forward to any replies, or comments you may have. Thanks.

adafruit

Re: Hello all, SIM reader and videos.

Post by adafruit »

yup the NOT gate is used to buffer the straight-up serial. the conversion from +_12v is actually done by the zener diodes.
you could use a MAX232 but it would be more expensive. using a NOT is 'OK' but well, not suggested for professional designs ;)

we already have episode 2 sketched out but -please- make your own videos! we will always link/promote great hacking videos and content!

vxbinaca

Re: Hello all, SIM reader and videos.

Post by vxbinaca »

adafruit wrote:yup the NOT gate is used to buffer the straight-up serial. the conversion from +_12v is actually done by the zener diodes.
you could use a MAX232 but it would be more expensive. using a NOT is 'OK' but well, not suggested for professional designs ;)

we already have episode 2 sketched out but -please- make your own videos! we will always link/promote great hacking videos and content!
AWESOME! Can't wait to see it. And thanks for the tips Limor I'm about to dive into this kit soon.

@code-moneky:

I play with Wireshark on my various *nix boxes and wouldn't mind helping you take a look at the protocols if you'd like. Theres actually really great filters and stuff already in WS that lets you look only for say, AIM traffic (hint: not encrypted auth). Facebook auth uses TLS, so thats a no go but I do believe off hand that chat is done in the clear, I'll check though. Feel free to PM me if you need assistance or people to help you test stuff, WS is an awesome awesome tool. Check out "Tshark" too, it's a CLI version of WS, uses the same filters too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Citizen Engineer (closed)”