software problem with Playground Express

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joel272

software problem with Playground Express

Post by joel272 »

I have the Circuit Playground Express. I've tried to use the IR Examples, Infrared_Read,etc., but when I try to verify/upload, I get this error message.

sketch_sep13aRead:27: error: 'class Adafruit_CircuitPlayground' has no member named 'irReceiver'

Arduino: 1.8.3 (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit Circuit Playground"

C:\Users\lian\Documents\Arduino\sketch_sep13aRead\sketch_sep13aRead.ino: In function 'void setup()':

Can you help? I get the same error message no matter which IR Example I try to use.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: software problem with Playground Express

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You need to select Circuit Playground Express as the board type. You have the classic Circuit Playground selected.

joel272

Post by joel272 »

Thanks for trying to help me.

I downloaded the Playground Express board to the Arduino IDE and connected to the correct port.

But when I try to verify the IR Read Example, I get a new error message.

Arduino: 1.8.3 (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit Circuit Playground Express"

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_CircuitPlayground/utility/CP_Firmata.h:17:0,

from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_CircuitPlayground/Adafruit_CircuitPlayground.h:23,

from C:\Users\lian\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_696665\Infrared_read.ino:5:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_CircuitPlayground/utility/CP_Boards.h:708:2: error: #error "Please edit Boards.h with a hardware abstraction for this board"

#error "Please edit Boards.h with a hardware abstraction for this board"

^

Multiple libraries were found for "Adafruit_CircuitPlayground.h"
Used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_CircuitPlayground
Not used: C:\Users\lian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_Circuit_Playground
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit Circuit Playground Express.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

adafruit_support_rick

You seem to have an old version of the CP library in your Arduino program directory:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_CircuitPlayground/utility/CP_Boards.h:708:2: error: #error "Please edit Boards.h with a hardware abstraction for this board"
The compiler should be using the version that's in your documents/Arduino/libraries folder. Not sure why it isn't doing that.

Try updating to the latest library version through the library manager. If it still doesn't work, delete the CP library folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\

joel272

Post by joel272 »

I updated the library to version 1.6.8. using the Arduino Library Manager.
Than I deleted the Adafruit file located in the Arduino file of my C drive.

I tried downloading the file again via Adafruit Circuit Playground Express webpage, but nothing succeeds and I continue to get this error message.

Infrared_read:8: error: #error "Infrared support is only for the Circuit Playground Express, it doesn't work with the Classic version"

#error "Infrared support is only for the Circuit Playground Express, it doesn't work with the Classic version"

^

exit status 1
#error "Infrared support is only for the Circuit Playground Express, it doesn't work with the Classic version"

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Previously, I had been using Adafruit Circuit Playground Classic, if that helps.
My Circuit Playground Express worked once, when I used the Example Demo.

I appreciate you trying to help.

Joel

adafruit_support_rick

Ok, that's interesting. The library checks to see if the board type is the CP Express. If it isn't, then it puts out that error.

But you *do* have the CP Express selected. So it's puzzling. I will look into this.

Meanwhile, do you have the latest version of the adafruit SAMD board package installed? You can check this in the Board Manager. Also make sure you have the latest version of the Arduino SAMD package

joel272

Post by joel272 »

Hi,

I checked the Board Manager and the Arduino SAMD board is installed. There is no Adafruit SAMD board installed. Board Manager does not show any Adafruit boards installed at all.

Thanks,

adafruit_support_rick

Hmm. It must be installed, since you're able to select the adafruit CPX as board type:

You don't have any adafruit boards in the boards list? Did you configure the adafruit boards URL in Arduino Preferences?

joel272

Post by joel272 »

No, I have no adafruit boards in the boards list. However, the Arduino SAMD version that is installed, does include, inter alia, Adafruit Circuit Playground Express.

I did not configure any adafruit boards URL in Arduino Preferences. Where do I find an adafruit board URL?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

adafruit_support_rick

No, you're right. You pick up the CP Express from the Arduino boards package.

So, it looks like Arduino has changed some of the compiler symbols, and that's why the sketch thinks that the board is not a CPX.

Change the text in the sketch to this:

#if !defined(ARDUINO_SAMD_CIRCUITPLAYGROUND_EXPRESS)
#endif

adafruit_support_rick

I updated the examples in the library. New version is 1.6.9

joel272

Post by joel272 »

Great job Rick!!

Thank you so much.
Please forward this reply to your supervisor. You deserve an 'atta boy'!

Much thanks,
Joel

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Thanks rick!!

rojo09

Post by rojo09 »

Sorry to open this one up again.

Brand new Circuit Playground Express. I downloaded the SAMD extensions and was able to get the Blink example to upload and work.

However, when I continue on the tutorial to '''#include <Adafruit_CircuitPlayground.h>''' (see https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... o-switches
) it fails to compile for similar reasons stated above:

Applications/Arduino--181.app/Contents/Java/libraries/Adafruit_CircuitPlayground/utility/CP_Boards.h:708:2: error: #error "Please edit Boards.h with a hardware abstraction for this board"
 #error "Please edit Boards.h with a hardware abstraction for this board"
I'm running Arduino 1.8.1 and have the SAMD Boards 1.6.16. I have updated the SAMD extension, reinstalled it and restarted the IDE. I have also opened the CP_Boards.h file that it is being referred to, and I see no mention of the SAMD hardware. I have removed and installed the 1.6.10 version of the SAMD. I then removed the SAMD installation and manually went into the Java/libraries/ and removed the Adafruit_CircuitPlayground folder, after which I reinstalled 1.6.16 (but this did _not_ reinstall the folder).

At this point, I'm figuring that the Adafruit_CircuitPlayground libraries are _not_ intended for the CircuitPlaygroundExpress. Is that correct?

This concerns me -- because that effectively means the CircuitPlaygroundExpress is not really Arduino Compatible. For instance, without the ability to import Adafruit_CircuitPlayground.h, one cannot use the "INPUT_PULLDOWN" definition. The provided CircuitPlayground examples also won't work. This was not really what I was lead to believe from the website and tutorials, and both MakeCode and CircuitPython are very limited (LCD support, etc).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”