Gemma m0 missing bootloader file

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
coalkine

Gemma m0 missing bootloader file

Post by coalkine »

Been trying to get the gemma m0 working with the arduino ide without any luck. I keep getting the following message win trying to upload code to the gemma.

Bootloader file specified but missing: C:\Users\HP-450\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\samd\1.0.19\bootloaders\gemma\samd21_sam_ba.bin
Sketch uses 15128 bytes (5%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
No device found on COM21
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

I have updated all board support files, using arduino ide 1.8.1, running windows 7 (installed latest adafruit drivers), and the computer dose recognize the gemma (did try another gemma with same results), and the code works fine on my nano just needed a something smaller to fit my project.

ps - using arduino ide and don't wont to have to install another program just to use the gemma.

thanks for any help you can provide.

fretinator

Re: Gemma m0 missing bootloader file

Post by fretinator »

I am in the same boat with my new Metro M0 Express. I have the SAMD for Arduino and Adafruit both installed and the board shows up, is on the correct COM port, but I get the same error about the missing samd21_sam_ba.bin. I wonder if installing an older version of the Adafruit SAMD boards would work. Perhaps this board is not yet supported for Arduino.

p.s. - I'm on Windows 10.

fretinator

Post by fretinator »

Here is what I did for now to get it to work. The system was looking for the bootloader at:

C:\Users\freti\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\samd\1.0.18\bootloaders\metro

There was no metro subfolder under bootloaders. However, I found the file under a directory named "zero", and I sometimes see the M0 described as a Zero board, so I copied the "zero" folder and named the new folder "metro" and now the compile and upload works. Fun times!

coalkine

Post by coalkine »

Thanks fretinator, cleared up the missing file problem but still saying that there is no device on the com port.

lighting101

Post by lighting101 »

i am just having trouble uploading to gemma i have a macbook not the pro just a Macbook and i have been having issues uploading can someone please help.

Thanks Again
Amber

fretinator

Post by fretinator »

coalkine wrote:Thanks fretinator, cleared up the missing file problem but still saying that there is no device on the com port.
I found that the com port changes from 3 to 4 after deployment. It might be something similar for your.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

The warning about the missing samd21_sam_ba.bin is a red herring. It's not used for uploading.

A few things to try:
1. If you double-click, do you see TRINKETBOOT? If so, at that point, go to Tools->Port and make sure the appropriate port is checked. Then try uploading. You probably won't be able upload if the port is not checked.
2. Alternatively, double-click during upload. Turn on verbose logging of Uploading in the Preferences window.

If TRINKETBOOT does not appear, someone else just discovered that some leftover Acronis drivers were interfering with the drive showing up. See viewtopic.php?f=52&t=125895.

See other hints in that thread as well about uninstalling the old version of the Adafruit drivers (on Windows 10), in case they were installed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”