Pi painter

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Berry34

Pi painter

Post by Berry34 »

Hello,
I started this project : https://learn.adafruit.com/dotstar-pi-p ... y-pi-setup

But after doing: DotStarPiPainter python sudo. py
I have this message: can not open file 'dostarpipaninter.py': [errno2] no such file or directory.
Can you help me?
thank you very much

Berry34

Re: Pi painter

Post by Berry34 »

Hello
can it work on a raspberry 3?
Thank you

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The exact command is:

Code: Select all

sudo python DotStarPiPainter.py
It's case-sensitive and must be in-order. If it still fails to run, I'll need to see exactly what the error is. Exactly. Like a screen grab or a photo.

brunojar

Post by brunojar »

hello
I'm trying to do this project DotStarPiPainter, but
I'm not getting the results I expect after following the steps of the
Raspeberry Pi setup, when typing "sudo python DotStarPiPainter.py" nothing
happens, and I put a flashpen and it continues without happening anything. I
would like to know what the problem will be, and if it would be possible to
put a raspian image already configured for download.

thank you

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Start by confirming the Pi is communicating with the DotStar LEDs correctly. Inside the 'Adafruit_DotStar_Pi; directory you'll find a few examples (e.g. strandtest.py). You'll want to edit the script first to make it use SPI (rather than GPIO), i.e. change this:

strip    = Adafruit_DotStar(numpixels, datapin, clockpin)
to this:

strip    = Adafruit_DotStar(numpixels, 8000000)
Then run: sudo python strandtest.py
If the LEDs still aren't lighting, you'll want to confirm that data & clock signals are routed to the correct pins, and that the DotStar strip is receiving power.

brunojar

Post by brunojar »

Hello
I have not yet gotten the LEDs on, I'm still setting up the raspberry Pi.
I just downloaded the latest raspian lite, and I'm still at this step "https://learn.adafruit.com/dotstar-pi-p ... y-pi-setup", I made the steps all the way to "Dry Run" and as I typed "sudo python DotStarPiPainter.py" and I connected the flashpen I did not see any print messages, so I figured something was not working as it should, and I did not go any further.
Is it possible to provide an already configured raspian ISO image? I think it does not recognize the USB stick

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

We don't have an SD card image for this, sorry.

Are there any images on the USB stick? Do you have buttons connected? I don't think the code prints anything until an image is loaded.

Can also try adding print messages to the sigusr1_handler() function in the DotStarPiPainter.py code.

brunojar

Post by brunojar »

Is supposed at this stage when running the code appear something on the screen after turning on the pen, otherwise something is not working, right?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Only if there are images on the drive and it's loaded the first of them.

tjdowd

Post by tjdowd »

Hello - we are working on this project and have hit the roadblock on previous post about not seeing any info after we initially run the program indicating that the images are loading...I did not see anything posted showing trouble shooting...we have images loaded on usb and it will not print out any messages when usb is inserted...any help prior to moving on to next step is much appreciated...stuck and bummed

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

I'll check this out and post an update. It's possible something broke with the latest Raspbian release.

tjdowd

Post by tjdowd »

Thank you! Much appreciated! My son is dying to complete this project for an upcoming school science maker faire. We updated with the latest rasberian update which is stretch lite. (We couldn’t find Jessie lite). Thanks for your prompt response and help!

brunojar

Post by brunojar »

I have a problem, is that the colors are not exactly the same as the photos, I put a picture all pink but only the blue color lights, what could be the problem?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

@brunojar: possible you have a DotStar strip that doesn't use 'brg' color order. Look in the source code of DotStarPiPainter.py, around line 56: Try changing 'brg' to 'gbr' and see if the result is more correct (or maybe there are other color orders we haven't encountered yet). Maybe make a test image that's 1/3 red, 1/3 green, 1/3 blue, that might make it easier to validate if the color planes are in the right order.

@tjdowd: can confirm something's not working right with usbmount and Raspbian Stretch. I'm poking around at it now...unsure yet but worst case this might require tracking down and using Jessie, or a nasty rewrite of parts of the Python code. Hoping it's a simple fix...

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

This does appear to be an issue with Stretch and usbmount. Fortunately there's a fix thanks to folks in the Raspberry Pi Forums.
Edit /lib/systemd/system/systemd-udevd.service and change the line
MountFlags=slave
to
MountFlags=shared
then reboot
Let me know if that resolves it for you, in which case I'll update the guide with the additional steps. Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”