IDEAS: DASHBOARD BLOCK SUGGESTIONS

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
brubell
Learn User Page

Re: IDEAS: DASHBOARD BLOCK SUGGESTIONS

Post by brubell »

unlock!

tyeth

Post by tyeth »

it would be lovely if one could optionally see the seconds in the log dashboard component, also if one could Drive the colour of the icon component.
Use-Case: I have the icon changed by actions, but the colour remains constant (purple). It would be lovely if another parameter of the icon component was to have a driven colour, by feed etc.
It's reacted to by nodered to trigger Tapo switch for carbon/hepa soldering fume extractor.
1.png
1.png (147.46 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
2.png
2.png (83.93 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

On the wippersnapper quick-setup/usability front it would be handy to have button on the device's wippersnapper page to create/update a simple device dashboard that shows mini log component and 3mini graphs for each metric, in 4hr/48hr/7days. Two rows of half width components per metric.
It's a pain to select each feed to view the history of more than one (I care about 6 metrics/feeds). It's fine if the user has an idea in mind for a dashboard, but if not then showing all metrics/feeds history in mini graphs would be very useful. Maybe wont easily work for non numeric data?

I include a screenshot with two extra buttons for going to and maintaining the device dashboard, which would have a constant url/name and would be overritten by the reset option incase the user changes it beyond repair, or it has not been setup yet / deleted by accident.
Screenshot 2023-03-13 161358.png
Screenshot 2023-03-13 161358.png (191.98 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

gallaugher

Post by gallaugher »

Hi! Our course is moving from Raspberry Pi 3A+ w/Mosquitto MQTT servers on the Pi to Pico W using Adafruit IO. One thing we're doing is triggering remote actions from a list of many options. Specifically it's a list of sounds that trigger sound play from a Pico W with equipped micro SD card. Right now it operates like this:
youtu.be/zZSqkoVTzzA
So "Space Monkey" can "converse" with folks. But as you might imagine, 50+ phrases is a lot. If we could create a scrolling list with a click on each one triggering an MQTT Press Value, this would be wonderful. Our students will be creating lots of projects, one is a robot that can "talk" via triggered sounds. The other are assistive tech projects, and toys like Space Monkey can be used for Hide & Seek or other engagement of the students in the program that our students work with. Here's an iOS app I wrote for the Raspberry Pi SBC work. Am looking to replicate the scrolling list in the Dashboard. Does this seem possible? Thanks!
ALSO: A joystick would be great. Since we're using MQTT and Adafruit IO to power a robot, it'd definitely help steer better than up down left and right, which we're currently using.
mil-mascaras.PNG
mil-mascaras.PNG (313.61 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

profgallaugher

Post by profgallaugher »

Button events to be changed so that iOS mobile devices send the event when button is pressed. Current implementation is equiv of “touch up inside” where press event isn’t sent until release, which is so close to release that sometimes release arrives in feed before press event. This also makes press/release combos unusable on iOS mobile (both in Chrome and Safari).
Also - given this it would be great to be able to avoid sending one of these events. Right now any button press sends 2x events where one is never used on mobile, but which adds to the throttling total. For higher engagement projects like Robotics this makes the difference between AIO dashboards being usable or far less so.
Also, kindly remove the auto-sizing of button width on mobile. Right now buttons on phones take up the whole screen, limiting the UX of dashboards that can be created. A simple up down left right stop in center can’t be done on mobile.
And if it is possible to allow desktop buttons to be smaller, this is also welcome. Arrow buttons that are only an emoji wide take up more space and limit the dashboard layout options.
Finally, I VERY much want to make public dashboards available to anyone without an Adafruit account. I’m not worried about overwhelming my feed, and if I did I’d accept throttling as a trade off. I want to add public interaction with, say, a project installation where the public can scan a QR code, jump to a page, and can do things like change LED colors, animations, press buttons for movement or sounds. Again this would REALLY increase the appeal of AIO as a tool for our hackers building things like Assistive Tech interfaces for their projects, or dashboards for public/facing work.
And THANKS! I realize many working on this do so as second jobs or as volunteers and I want to share how much my students and I admire your work and are grateful for your help. AIO and the PicoW really made IoT projects accessible in my CircuitPython course. The previous work of setting up our own Raspberry Pi Mosquitto servers and me writing an iOS app was hugely time consuming and left out those without iPhobes. This is great work you’ve done and I hope our comments and experiences help guide you to things that hopefully are easy to implement and that I’m sure will have a big impact. Thanks, again!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”