IDEAS: ADAFRUIT IO FEATURE SUGGESTIONS

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jwcooper

Re: IDEAS: ADAFRUIT IO FEATURE SUGGESTIONS

Post by jwcooper »

FirstFloor322 wrote:I have a suggestion, when i have mutliple toggles in a dashboard, all linked to the same feed, when i use a toggle all others return to default state, is there any way you could add a functionality wherein it retains it state irrespective of other toggles?

also pls add a width functionality to the toggle widget, all the text seem to be wierdly outa frame(check attachment),

im using this for my smarthome project and its really annoying cz i cannot see which toggles are on/off cz all of em return to default state.......

Could anyone at Adafruit IO pls pls pls pls help me??????

and before u say it,.........no i cant have multiple feeds, its wayy too much clutter and also im using ifttt which doesnt allow so many feeds
At this time, we would suggest putting just ON/OFF or something else similarly small in a toggle block text section so it looks better. The title of the feed, and the title of the block (they can be different, depending on what you need) are better used as descriptors for what the feed represents. We will look into dynamically resizing text, but it's fairly low on our list as of this moment.

Also, we do have an issue filed to support state of toggle blocks in the manner you are using them, but do not have a date we can provide when we'll add the feature. Using a feed per toggle switch is currently the recommended approach. Another approach would be using Momentary Buttons, or even just text input, with either of those you could monitor the state in the stream block.

millercommamatt

Post by millercommamatt »

I would like it if dashboard elements (like the time series plotter and gauges) supported simple math operations to handle things like feed unit conversions.

paulxharry

Post by paulxharry »

is there any way to white lable the Adafruit data feed and give it to my customers based on login criteria.
there are some websites doing that. and if we are a startup into IoT, who is in the stage of gathering customers, would love to use this feature.

lionskegscale

Post by lionskegscale »

Is there a technical reason why line charts are limited to 5 feeds? I can understand that things will start to get crowded with more than this, but unless there is some technical reason for the limitation, why not allow more, and let people decide for themselves when it's too crowded?

Yahsha

Post by Yahsha »

Hi there,

This is more of a product idea not a software one (sorry I didn't see a forum for this) - Adafruit has a bunch of smaller-sized LCD products, but what do you think of a transparent LCD panel? IMO there are many potential use cases from signage, product marketing at stores (big and small) to even computer cases (e.g. I'm referencing the Snowblind case's side panel if you would like to look it up).

It's hard for the average consumer (even if they're technical) to DIY it because not every one knows how to take apart a monitor, strip/solder, wire LEDs, etc.

I think the PC builder community alone would drive a lot of business for this (including me - hence the product suggestion). I don't have the immediate skills, time, or money (since you have to buy all the tools too) to build even a "dumb" screen (i.e. connected to the computer via HDMI as a 2nd screen essentially). It would be great to buy it from somewhere like Adafruit due to your proven quality of work and expertise. I looked up a bunch of vendors but they're either vendors on Alibaba selling bulk from China, or enterprise sellers in the USA focused on $10k+ type of large OLED screens. In my experience, the most popular side cases have around a 19inch side panel.

Anyways, just my 2 cents!

Be well,
-A
Attachments
shopping.jpeg
shopping.jpeg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 3720 times

daperl

Post by daperl »

Two suggestions for the NC pin on the ESP32 feather. First suggestion is to connect it to the ESP32 GPIO0 so the the ESP32 can output MCLK when using I2S. The second suggestion is to connect it to the #SUSPEND pin from the CP2104. Being able to detect when my computer is asleep or awake is convenient.
Attachments
cp2104-t.jpg
cp2104-t.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 3689 times
esp32-cp2104.jpg
esp32-cp2104.jpg (81.7 KiB) Viewed 3689 times

rwensley

Post by rwensley »

Greetings,
The IO dashboard is great. Easy to use and reliable.

Would it be possible to add line color selection to the chart?
I have a dashboard, picture attached, of a spectrometer. It would be nice if I could have the line color match the spectrum color.

Thanks,
Ron Wensley
Example dashboard
Example dashboard
specto plot.PNG (234.94 KiB) Viewed 3618 times

darkmoon3d

Post by darkmoon3d »

Finding AIO to be quite useful. Would be cool if future features were similar to tkinter, pygame and Home Assistant. Couple ideas.

--Maps Feature
------Compatible with Google Maps
------Draw lines, points over satellite image
------Zoom Controls
------Draw heat maps and visualization data over satellite image
------Track multiple devices
------Select item to open popup for that device in window, new page or tab

--Tables
------View spreadsheet data from csv feeds (similar to Google Spreadsheets)
------Change cell color based on value
------Stream data from multiple devices
------Scrollbars for longer entries

--Line Graph
------View multiple data viewable in different color
------Start stop parameter based on calendar input

--Radio buttons

--Dropdown buttons (left / right mouse button)
------Select item or items

--Spinner box arrows
------Used for text entries (min, max, current)

--Status progress bar
------% remaining
------Color changeable based on value or condition
------Number slider bar but without circle
------Text within frame (ex. ‘WARNING’, ‘CRITICAL’)
------Editable and non-editable

--Text box
------Recessed white style similar to windows classic
------Keyboard popup for text entry using touchscreens

--Popup message windows
------Confirm, error, warning popups

--List Box
------Select multiple entries

--Tabs
--Bluetooth compatibility using ESP32
--3D model rotation icon box (for testing IMU) (example Stanford Bunny)
--Change background to white or black
--Screen size framing for testing for Mobile, PC or custom screen size
--Ability to read Xbee data

millercommamatt

Post by millercommamatt »

I'd like to be able to set my own rate limits for reactive triggers. I'd also like to be able to set a reactive trigger to fire only on a state change.

I want to send a message to a Discord channel when I drop below a threshold, but I don't want to do it more than every 15 minutes or so. Maybe this would instead involve a conditional to a scheduled trigger.

Ideally, I'd like to have the trigger fire only when crossing a prescribed value.

abuehler

Post by abuehler »

I really want to be able to change the colors of my sliders, and other buttons on the dashboard. I use AIO for my smart thermostat project and would love to have the AC temperature slider be blue and have the heater slider be red so there's no confusion. It would also help to change the colors so I can color code sliders for the lights in individual rooms. I think my toddlers, who can't read, would be able to use my dashboards for the lights if they were specific colors for specific rooms. Right now they cant read so they cant tell one switch or slider from another on the dashboard.

I currently use the indicator block for some of this on my dashboard but it clutters things up real fast. I's prefer to just have the indicator color options built right into toggles, sliders, and gauges. It would also be awesome to select three colors for the gauges where below the low value is one color, in range in a second color, and high range is a third color. I use the gauges for temperature sensors and its weird when they display red when the temperature dips below the low value.

sipan1313

Post by sipan1313 »

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

millercommamatt wrote:I'd like to be able to set my own rate limits for reactive triggers. I'd also like to be able to set a reactive trigger to fire only on a state change.

I want to send a message to a Discord channel when I drop below a threshold, but I don't want to do it more than every 15 minutes or so. Maybe this would instead involve a conditional to a scheduled trigger.

Ideally, I'd like to have the trigger fire only when crossing a prescribed value.
This is definitely on our roadmap to get added in. I've updated our issue with your comment as well.

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

abuehler wrote:I really want to be able to change the colors of my sliders, and other buttons on the dashboard. I use AIO for my smart thermostat project and would love to have the AC temperature slider be blue and have the heater slider be red so there's no confusion. It would also help to change the colors so I can color code sliders for the lights in individual rooms. I think my toddlers, who can't read, would be able to use my dashboards for the lights if they were specific colors for specific rooms. Right now they cant read so they cant tell one switch or slider from another on the dashboard.

I currently use the indicator block for some of this on my dashboard but it clutters things up real fast. I's prefer to just have the indicator color options built right into toggles, sliders, and gauges. It would also be awesome to select three colors for the gauges where below the low value is one color, in range in a second color, and high range is a third color. I use the gauges for temperature sensors and its weird when they display red when the temperature dips below the low value.
I also like this idea. Just as a heads-up, it's probably a bigger feature and will take a bit longer to implement, but is important to us due to accessibility reasons as well. We'd like to have a 'colors' page that you can all of your default colors, and then also allow you to customize colors on a per-block basis. The light and dark modes of the dashboards was step one of this feature (now implemented).

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

lionskegscale wrote:Is there a technical reason why line charts are limited to 5 feeds? I can understand that things will start to get crowded with more than this, but unless there is some technical reason for the limitation, why not allow more, and let people decide for themselves when it's too crowded?
Sort of yea, it's mostly related to how much data the charts can handle in a browser and remain responsive. You can have multiple chart blocks with multiple feeds, so adding too many will cause slowdowns.

I get the perspective of wanting more than 5, but it also introduces support issues if we allowed unlimited, etc ("My dashboard loads slowly.").

ramisthand76

Post by ramisthand76 »

Adafruit.io is a cloud service - that just means we run it for you and you don't have to manage it. You can connect to it over the Internet. It's meant primarily for storing and then retrieving data but it can do a lot more than just that!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”