x0xb0x Not Responding to MIDI In (again)

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
midiquestions

x0xb0x Not Responding to MIDI In (again)

Post by midiquestions »

Earlier this year, my x0x wasn't responding to MIDI notes or sequencer start messages. I retouched the connections on J3, and it worked again. Now, it's crapped out again, and I don't know why.

I took it apart, and the J3 connections all look fine, but I retouched them anyway -- still no joy though.

Checking for continuity, everything seems fine across the two boards, but I also noticed that wires 3&4 and 7&8 in J3 have continuity with each other. Is that normal, or is there a short there? I don't SEE one, but the wires are pretty small and close together.

Otherwise, anything else I can check?

antto

Re: x0xb0x Not Responding to MIDI In (again)

Post by antto »

http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/x0xb ... board2.png
yes, those neighbours are supposed to be pairs

if the sequencer and "everything" else works, check that it's not the cable
also check if you got 5V on pin5 (MIDI_IN) of J3 when there's no data coming
if you have a scope or logic analyzer - see if you can clearly see the MIDI data there

midiquestions

Post by midiquestions »

Thanks for the reply. Everything else does seem to work, yes. I don't have a scope or logic analyzer but will check the cable and pin 5.

midiquestions

Post by midiquestions »

antto wrote:also check if you got 5V on pin5 (MIDI_IN) of J3 when there's no data coming
Check. I put one probe near the AC connection and one on pin5 at the other end of J3, on the main board. Actually, I tested all the pins on both ends of J3 while I was in there. Still no MIDI response from the x0x. It passes MIDI from the IN to the THRU port as well. The sound engine just isn't responding to it.

midiquestions

Post by midiquestions »

Is it possible that the OS is receiving the MIDI IN information, but the OS is damaged somehow? I can't seem to find any other physical problems.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”