Wave Bubble 2010

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
extratitanian

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Post by extratitanian »

TheFallen wrote:I think it may be time to make a 2013 version, using an ATMega32u4 with the Arduino bootloader. That should remove some of the programming hassle.
That would be awesome. I just picked up a Teensy, it's pretty nifty. Looks like it'd be much harder than a 328 to solder to something. I'm going to try to throw together a 2010 before messing with any changes. Any idea on who with some engineering skills is still around?

rubidium

Post by rubidium »

Can someone point to the Eagle files for the latest variant of these two boards. All I can find are the Target 3001 files.

Also, I am developing a 3rd board that includes a 2.2 TFT display that integrates with WB2010. Once I debug and test that, I'll post Eagle files for it, along with mods to the WB2010 firmware to interface with the display.

wing23

Post by wing23 »

that would be great
also if there could be any changes that allow the use of parts that are easier to get/buy ...

I just recently got into arduino and I saw some displays in ebay that cost less than I expected
some even have touch support

so depending on where you want to use the WB it might look a littly fancier than the unsuspicious standard version ^^

rubidium

Post by rubidium »

What I have successfully breadboarded is an arrangement whereby one of the new Adafruit 2.2" color TFT's (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1480) is driven by an Arduino Micro, which in turn receives information to be displayed from the WB via TTL serial communication. That is, the TX pin on the existing WB signal board 4-pin header (JP1) is connected directly to the Arduino Micro's RX pin which uses the Serial1 class in code. In my modded version of the WB firmware, I use certain ASCII control characters to indicate to the Micro such text attributes as color and position, as well as other display control functions like clearing the screen, etc. Then I can pass any text I want from the WB and have it displayed on the TFT. Currently, I'm passing the parameters and a stored text narrative associated with the current jamming program executing on the WB and battery status. The Micro also includes a time-out for the TFT backlight in order to conserve battery power. This is still a work in progress codewise, but I'm happy enough with the hardware arrangement to fabricate a prototype "display board" that will mate - both physically and electrically - with the existing signal and battery boards and serve as an add or remove option. It can reside 0.25" above the signal board using spacers, just like the battery board resides 0.25" below the signal board.

What I would like to do is make a few simple mods to the signal and battery boards to implement some other ideas. Since I am working with Eagle, and a PCB fabricator who wants Eagle .brd files, I'm looking for those files but can't find them. All I can find are Target 3001 files! Somebody must have Eagle .brd files.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7415/9700 ... e0cd_o.png
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/9703 ... a740_o.png

wing23

Post by wing23 »

nice nice :)

I once saw these eagle files (I also use eagle) but when I opened them there were some errors
I don't have them anymore and also don't know where to look for them :(

bknapek

Post by bknapek »

What is the reason behind JP7?
Based on what criteria should I decide how it should be set?

rubidium

Post by rubidium »

Here's what I think is the rationale for this option: The data sheet for the linear regulator IC1 specifies that minimum input voltage (pin1 of IC1) to that chip is the chip's output voltage (pin5 of IC1), i.e. 3.3V, plus the "dropout" voltage of the device (listed as 102mV typical). So for a stable 3.3V output needed for the MCU and other chips, one needs at least 3.4V at the input. Assuming something like a LiPo battery is used to power the Wave Bubble, then if pin2 of JP7 is bridged to pin1 and the LiPo drops below 3.4V, then IC1 will no longer be able to sustain supplying 3.3V to the MCU and other chips. However, if pin2 of JP7 is bridged to pin3, then the 5V boost converter, IC2, will instead feed the input to IC1. Being a boost converter, IC2 will continue to sustain its 5V output as the battery drains to exhaustion, and thus IC1 will continue to sustain its 3.3V output. That's why I run with pin2 of JP7 is bridged to pin3, and don't see any advantage to the alternative. Now if it were me, I would have simply used a boost converter arrangement for the 3.3V supply in the first place - but whatever.
Jim

quicksmoke

Post by quicksmoke »

any body have wave bubble rev. 2a pcb to sell?

manolorutu

Post by manolorutu »

I have a question with external antennas, wich pair of them you recommend me? I have SMA conn in my WB2010 rev 2b

Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

Does anyone have bare Wave Bubble 2010 Rev.2a/2b PCB's for sale, or is anyone working up a board fabrication list that I can sign on to ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think anyone one with the forum has had boards made since aqisnotliquid.

I would like to buy from someone within the group.

I have seen some boards on E-Bay, but I have had bad experiences procuring parts for some of my other "neferious" hobbies via E-bay. Some time back I got interested in geiger counters, scintillation detectors, and natural radioactive ores. One Saturday morning two gentlemen from the FBI showed up on my front door step to ask me what I was doing. It was actually fun talking to them, and we parted as friends, but, ever since, I have not used E-bay to acquire anything more controversial than Hello Kitty refrigerator decorations ! Yes...They ARE watching !

Best regards to all.

henry48

Post by henry48 »

Hi,

a very interesting project going on here!
Does anybody know if the latest eagle files posted by erich can be converted to gerber files
and send in to a pcb service without modifications?
Are they ready to be produced or are there errors that have to be fixed?
Anyone tested them or can tell me the current status?
I read all the thread but im still not sure as no one really reported smth. so far.

Thank you :)

Kind regards, henry.

RChadwick7

Post by RChadwick7 »

Hi Everyone.
I finally got around to putting together an original WaveBubble, but now thinking I might be better off with the 2010 version. A few questions:

1) Are the boards compatible between the WB and WB2010? Can I mix and match the power board and main board? Will the antenna board work on the WB2010?
2) Has the FW ever been finished for the WB2010? Or is everyone using the WB firmware?
3) There seems to be a number of PCB files about. Which is considered the latest? Are Gerbers available? Or do I have to run the files through Eagle?

Thanks!

bhammy187

Post by bhammy187 »

I'm also looking to build a Wave Bubble. Looking for folks to go in on a PCB run, as well as split the costs of a 20 piece order on the VCO's from Mini-Circuits. Let me know if anyone is interested, or if folks have any new/un-used VCO's for sale.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!

RChadwick7

Post by RChadwick7 »

I'm interested in VCO's as well, depending on which VCO's I'd be needing.

mseymour

Post by mseymour »

Has anyone had any issues with the code working?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”