Page 9 of 14

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:45 am
by chankster
You, being a general term. :)

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 pm
by TheFallen
All you need is a PC with a USB port. I don't think they're gonna disappear in the theoretical wavebubble lifetime.
As for reprogramming the micro, again, USB port.

As for a wavebubble with a screen (LCD/OLED) and a control panel sure go ahead, but what's the point? People keep suggesting it, but no one EVER actually does something.

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:44 am
by erich81
TheFallen wrote:All you need is a PC with a USB port. I don't think they're gonna disappear in the theoretical wavebubble lifetime.
As for reprogramming the micro, again, USB port.

As for a wavebubble with a screen (LCD/OLED) and a control panel sure go ahead, but what's the point? People keep suggesting it, but no one EVER actually does something.
Adding an LCD is the easy part, modifying the programming to use it is the hard part.

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:37 am
by Mictronics
Adding a cell phone LCD is easy. A spare one from Nokia 3310 or 6150 etc. is sufficient. All required connections are available on the ISP connector, so at least from hardware side it's plug-and-play. Software drivers exist, just ask Google.

The question is how you will manage user inputs? With only two buttons one will hardly manage any programming. So the LCD possibly will show only the selected program. For a setup a PC with serial terminal will be required any way.

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 am
by cornz
It would be nice to be able to reprogram the device "on-the-fly" so to speak without needing a PC at all....

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:00 pm
by erich81
cornz wrote:It would be nice to be able to reprogram the device "on-the-fly" so to speak without needing a PC at all....
So what would you propose? Having a user-selectable list? The only feasible way I see to do this would be to have a range of values stored, then just be able to select from a list and "commit" the value, so that becomes the new range of values. Any other way that I could think of would require a keypad or extra buttons.

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 pm
by Mictronics
I don't see any reason for a keypad or even a LCD. Of course it would be nice to have but dealing with it during operation will draw attention.
From my point of view the Wave Bubble is intended for a very special purpose and operational case. So if I'm going to use it I will prepare for the mission. That means I only need a limited number of programs to run and they can be programmed in advance on a PC.

In case one will be cached with a Wave Bubble two buttons,two LEDs and an antenna will hardly explain the purpose of the device. But a nice LCD which tells a few details requires some good explanation.

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:28 pm
by erich81
Mictronics wrote:I don't see any reason for a keypad or even a LCD. Of course it would be nice to have but dealing with it during operation will draw attention.
From my point of view the Wave Bubble is intended for a very special purpose and operational case. So if I'm going to use it I will prepare for the mission. That means I only need a limited number of programs to run and they can be programmed in advance on a PC.

In case one will be cached with a Wave Bubble two buttons,two LEDs and an antenna will hardly explain the purpose of the device. But a nice LCD which tells a few details requires some good explanation.
Agreed. Seeing as how the functions performed are less-than-legal in some countries, while you might be able to explain it as your "garage door opener" or some kind of remote, if you have an LCD screen on it saying "950-1900Mhz JAMMED" lol it might be a little harder to write off to the authorities.

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:11 am
by Slowrider
Ah, could always combine it with TV-B-Gone in the same box. I do not think it is illegal to turn some ones TV off, yet, and easy to demonstrate it working ;-)

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:21 am
by Slowrider
By the way, I looked at getting the boards bult my self from another company Speedypcb;

1. Lead time 10 business days
=====================
wave_bubble_power: 1 pcs: 75.00 USD
WaveBubbleSigna: 1 pcs: 75.00 USD

2. Lead time 5/6 business days
=====================
wave_bubble_power: 1 pcs: 106.00 USD
WaveBubbleSigna: 1 pcs: 106.00 USD

Shipping 32 USD to UK

- No other hidden charges
- Shipping: UPS Express
- E-testing: included
- Tooling: included
- Design review: included
- Solder mask: included
- Silkscreen: included
- Surface finishing: included
Layer: double side
Material: FR4
Copper weight: 1.0 oz
Thickness: 0.062"
Soldermask: green
Silkscreen: white
Minimum drill size: 12 mil
Min trace/space: 7/7 mil
Pad finishing: HASL
No. of designs: 1 per panel
Blind/buried via: none
Impedance control: none
Special requests: none

------------------------------------------------

So just not practical to order a one off board.

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 am
by cornz
A quick nosey:
http://www.quick-teck.co.uk/euro/order_from_europe.php

Assuming they can do them, thats £10 a board...
And a minimal outlay.....

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:33 am
by Slowrider
But need 10 people.

Are there 10 people interested?

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:17 pm
by wing23
well, if a keypad is too much, why not use a rotational torqe encoder?

but well, I wouldn't mind a lcd either, maybe after the new wave bubble is up and running :)

would anyone mind giving me the mini-circuits europe website again?
I always end on the standard/main mini-circuits website :|

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:20 pm
by cornz

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:23 pm
by cornz
Slowrider wrote:But need 10 people.

Are there 10 people interested?

Yes, i am.