HUZZAH ESP8266 Breakout - BLINK compiing error Arduino

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Govner

HUZZAH ESP8266 Breakout - BLINK compiing error Arduino

Post by Govner »

I must be overlooking something pretty basic. Please try to spot it.

The below sketch is the one included in the Product Introduction for HUZZAH ESP8266 breakout board ($9.95), not that it matters. I just tried to 'compile' the sketch and the compiler throws the error at the bottom of this post.

Why is Python even mentioned in the error? That is an exception that I've never seen & don't understand or have a clue about. I verified the options listing in the 'Tools' menu for the chosen board (Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266). I even uninstalled and re-installed the ESP8266 from the packages/board manager.

All my projects are Arduino-based. I don't use Python for anything so this is a mystery.

Thanks

Code: Select all

void setup() {
      pinMode(0, OUTPUT);
    }

void loop() {
      digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
      delay(500);
      digitalWrite(0, LOW);
      delay(500);
    }

Build options changed, rebuilding all
fork/exec C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\Local Settings\Application Data\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\tools\python3\3.7.2-post1/python3.exe: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
Error compiling for board Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266.

philinwisconsin

Re: HUZZAH ESP8266 Breakout - BLINK compiing error Arduino

Post by philinwisconsin »

Interesting. I have exactly the same problem, only I'm using a Mac. I can't wait to find out what this is about.

Here's my Mac error message:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266, 80 MHz, Flash, Legacy (new can return nullptr), All SSL ciphers (most compatible), 4MB (FS:3MB OTA:~512KB), v2 Lower Memory, Disabled, None, Only Sketch, 115200"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
fork/exec /Users/phejtmanek/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3: permission denied
Error compiling for board Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266.

philinwisconsin

Well, I got it to work. The problem appears to be with the board library package. I had originally installed the latest version (2.6.3), and I received an error on compile (see my previous post). I decided to try an earlier board library package and went with 2.5.2. I installed that version into my Arduino environment and VOILA everything compiled and uploaded to the HUZZAH board just fine. I'm using the Arduino environment 1.8.5 on a mac with osx 10.13.6 High Sierra

I'm concluding that the problem is the 2.6.x library version; perhaps something got hammered up in the evolutionary process...

Govner

Post by Govner »

philinwisconsin wrote:Well, I got it to work. The problem appears to be with the board library package. I had originally installed the latest version (2.6.3), and I received an error on compile (see my previous post). I decided to try an earlier board library package and went with 2.5.2. I installed that version into my Arduino environment and VOILA everything compiled and uploaded to the HUZZAH board just fine.
.....I'm concluding that the problem is the 2.6.x library version; perhaps something got hammered up in the evolutionary process...

I tried this same method but had no luck. I even went back several more library versions but the same // fork...//python// error message is thrown during compile/tests.

Lacking better info about the problem, I guess I'll have to find another route for my ESP8266 solutions. Thanks for your post on the topic.

Regards

PS: Yes, for those wondering, the following gives the same error msg:

Code: Select all

void setup() {
      pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
    }

void loop() {
      digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
      delay(500);
      digitalWrite(13, LOW);
      delay(500);
    }

bobpicasso

Post by bobpicasso »

There is a problem with a symbolic link to python3

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3

it points to /usr/local/bin/python3, on my mac but python3 is in /usr/bin/python3.

So, it can be fixed by changing the symbolic link

ln -hfs /usr/bin/python3 /Users/YourUserName/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3

philinwisconsin

Where is this link?? Neither one of us was using python at all.

Thanks.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

There's a Python build installed as part of the ESP8266 Board Support Package (BSP). This looks like something has happened with the BSP install for your specific setup. Try re-installing the ESP8266 BSP as a first step and see what happens.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”