MiniPOV4 no lights, not recognized as USB device

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
AustinDodge

MiniPOV4 no lights, not recognized as USB device

Post by AustinDodge »

I've assembled my MidiPOV4 kit, but when the switch it turned on, none of the lights turn on. I'm on Windows 10, and when plugging into my computer, it's not recognized as a USBtiny in the device manager, but rather as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I've double-checked and reflowed every joint on the board. Additionally, I've verified that the battery pack is supplying 4.75v, and it's being put out by the atmega328 at pin 7. I suspect I've been sent an unprogrammed controller. I've programmed atmega328s via avrdude, but only with detailed instructions - does anything like that exist for this project? Something that would say how to set the fuses, etc. Alternatively, if there's something else that would explain what's going on, I'd love to hear it.

This is for a Christmas present I'm making for someone, any help before 12/22 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: using my AVR Pocket Programmer and avrdude I've verified that the atmega328 is functioning, I've attached a screenshot of that. I'm very certain that it's simply an unprogrammed chip, if anyone could walk me through the process of programming it via ISP/give me a link to a good tutorial I would greatly appreciate it
Attachments
avrdude.png
avrdude.png (14.14 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
20191217_031858.jpg
20191217_031858.jpg (322.99 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
20191217_031836.jpg
20191217_031836.jpg (348.95 KiB) Viewed 1784 times

neileuliano

Re: MiniPOV4 no lights, not recognized as USB device

Post by neileuliano »

Same problems and debugging. the led's light up when I remove the processor and place voltages directly into the sockets.
Help?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”