SAMD51 (M4) board users: update your bootloaders to >=v3.9.0

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aklitman

Re: SAMD51 (M4) board users: update your bootloaders to >=v3

Post by aklitman »

Oh Good Grief! I was loading a new CircuitPython and not the UF2. Sorry for the RCI.

Austin

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

No problem! It can be confusing. Glad you got it straightened out.

dThirteen

Post by dThirteen »

Just updated a Metro M4 Express. Downloaded the updater directly to the drive, it immediately rebooted and voila, 3.10.0 running. Seconds later I uploaded a sketch that is running happily. Completely painless. Great job Adafruit! That couldn't have been easier.

tomjennings

Post by tomjennings »

There's errors and mislieading/missing info on the Grand Central learn page. This one baffled me for a second:

Code: Select all

Updating Your Bootloader

To see if you need to update your bootloader, get the UF2 boot drive to appear on your board.
Should be "to appear in your list of mounted drives on your computer". not "board". On MacOS I have to open a finder window since I don't have mounted drives appear on the desktop.

Also the name of the mounted drive is GCM4BOOT, also not listed in the page.

The DOWNLOAD page has the bootloader at the bottom of the page, I almost missed it!

(I have a very old board!
UF2 Bootloader v1.23.1-adafruit.1-88-g797305f SFHWRO
Model: Grand Central M4 Express
Board-ID: SAMD51P20A-GrandCentral-v0
)

Pretty much everything seems Python oriented; I'm using the Arduino IDE.

I'm a little worried about the lack of info and data on non-CircuitPython applications of this board; is C/C++ via Arduino IDE being deprecated for this product?

Otherwise bootloaded update went as described. Thanks!

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

There's errors and mislieading/missing info on the Grand Central learn page. This one baffled me for a second:
Should be "to appear in your list of mounted drives on your computer". not "board". On MacOS I have to open a finder window since I don't have mounted drives appear on the desktop.
I've updated the text to make it clearer.
Also the name of the mounted drive is GCM4BOOT, also not listed in the page.
Added that as another drive name.
The DOWNLOAD page has the bootloader at the bottom of the page, I almost missed it!
I added a screenshot.
I'm a little worried about the lack of info and data on non-CircuitPython applications of this board; is C/C++ via Arduino IDE being deprecated for this product?
Not at all! We support both fully. There's just a lot more to say about CircuitPython, and Arduino users tend to be somewhat more self-sufficient.
Otherwise bootloaded update went as described. Thanks!
Glad it worked OK!

SebNad

Post by SebNad »

Hi
I have 3 Metro m4 Express useless as of today. first two i damaged them, replaced the chips tried to flash a bootloader with the segger j-link edu as suggested but, no boards are appearing on my computer. ordered new one from mouser and came today, tried to flash the updated bootloader version 3.10.0 on the new one to see if that the procedure are correct but the old two boards had hardware issues, and the new board absolutly not working, same as the old ones now. flashed with atmel studio 7 looks good(erase..OK/Program...OK/Verify...OK). after flashing when boards plugged in my computer only green led ON but volume not appearing on my computer or not even an unrecognized peripheral nor detected.

I followed this guide https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-progr ... ootloaders , even though I don't see the Metro M4 Express on the list, I'm Assuming it's the same as the SAMD51 section?

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

The easiest way to update the bootloader, assuming there's a functioning one, is with the `update-bootloader...` .uf2 file. See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... bootloader

Are you saying you tried replacing the SAMD51 chip on the two previous boards, but were unsuccessful?

On the new board, did you try the update-bootloader .uf2 or did you immediately try Atmel Studio? If you double-click the reset button, do you get a pulsing LED, about once per second, or a fast pulse, or nothing?

SebNad

Post by SebNad »

The easiest way to update the bootloader, assuming there's a functioning one, is with the `update-bootloader...` .uf2 file. See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... bootloader
I realised that later but I wanted to replicate what i did on the older boards from this guide https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-progr ... mel-studio, I wanted to replicate the procedures on the new one assuming it's gonna work, and the issue on the other two old still a hardware issue.

Are you saying you tried replacing the SAMD51 chip on the two previous boards, but were unsuccessful?
the chips are soldered correctly and under the microscope solder joint looks fine, Since the bootloader flashing didn't make them work as before, I thought It might be Hardware issue, but when I tried to flash the bt 3.10.0 on the new one and had same result, then I start thinking It might be another issue.
On the new board, did you try the update-bootloader .uf2 or did you immediately try Atmel Studio? If you double-click the reset button, do you get a pulsing LED, about once per second, or a fast pulse, or nothing?
I immediately tried Atmel Studio. double click not doing anything.

SebNad

Post by SebNad »

I really need help for this project, I'm developing an Iot board based on the ATSAMD51J19A, so eventually I have to flash the adafruit bootloader in it. If I'm not succeeding to do it on the metro m4 express that means i'm not gonna be able to do it on my boards, I've been trying for week now to solve this issue and no luck. I only have a month and half to for the deadline.

SebNad

Post by SebNad »

Yaayyy thank god I restored the three boards but with a sparkfun Bootloader using the Bin file from here https://github.com/sparkfun/Arduino_Boa ... ers/SAMD51
does that mean I've been using wrong or corrupted Bootloader from adafruit?? weird, any explanation?

dThirteen

Post by dThirteen »

SebNad

Post by SebNad »

dThirteen wrote:Did you get the file from https://circuitpython.org/board/metro_m4_express/ ? I probably would have used https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/ ... 3.10.0.bin
Yes I downloaded https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/ ... 3.10.0.bin several times and kept trying. as mentioned in previous posts I followed the guide from adafruit on this link https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-progr ... ootloaders on How to Program SAMD Bootloaders, and no luck, I don't know why . I used the same adafruit guide but use bin file from sparkfun to flash to the three boards and worked. I can't explain this beside the bootloader file is not made for Metro M4 express !!?? put in mind that I'm not updating the UF2 file only, I was trying to program the three Metro M4 express with an adafruit bootloader.

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

I still have serious bootloader issues, following on from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=165089&p=819667#p819667

I've been on the updated bootloader for awhile, am using VSCode, and still constantly run into issues. This board has terrible stability problems. I can upload a sketch fine maybe 1 in 3 times.

Seems related to serial monitor as it's often after opening serial monitor that the next time I try to upload a sketch it fails. I either have to double-tap reset or if that doesn't work, unplug the device and plug it in again.

Furthermore, it messes with the Windows device system. My USB devices can stop working, my bluetooth devices stop working, my 2/5ghz devices stop working - I have to restart the computer or connect another device to try and get everything responding again. This happens when it tries to upload a sketch and fails half-way through.

Seriously, can someone fix this thing. It's beyond belief that this is not a prototype but a $50 board. It's never worked properly from day one, I've never gotten proper help for the issues, no one seems to care. I ended up buying a Due as it has the speed and 3.3V while being as close to 100% reliable as I need. The Grand Central is a $50 paper weight I use for prototyping small circuits and sketches.

paulspizza

Post by paulspizza »

I'm not sure what you mean by a "custom" board UF2. paulspizzaco

hnaseri

Post by hnaseri »

Hello and thank you for your posts here. Where can I find the latest binary file bootloader for Grand Central M4? I am using Atmel-Ice to write the bootloader and the format it expects is a .bin or .hex file.

Thank you,
Hamid

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”