can't upload with USBTinyIsp

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sekramer10

can't upload with USBTinyIsp

Post by sekramer10 »

I have a USBTinyISP programmer from AF that I got several years ago and am trying to get working now. I had trouble with it initially but I thought I would try again.

I ran the avrdude command line test from the setup guide and got the expected responses, when wired to an ATTINY841 chip.

Now when I try to program it with a blink sketch from Arduino IDE I get the error:

Code: Select all

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": The system cannot find the file specified.
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
But if I do the Burn Bootloader option from the IDE It says it is successful. One time it said it was not successful so I think it's doing something right, the red led came on for about 2 seconds.

The device is listed on Device manager (Win10) as USBTIny with driver ver: 1.2.6.0

I am using the ATTINYCore core by Spence Konde. I have Arduino IDE ver: 1.8.12.

It is trying to program through COM port 3, which is a port I usually use with the AF FTDI Serial TTL-232 USB Cable. As a matter of fact if I plug in this cable it tries to program through it (with nothing connected to it but the red Tx led blinks periodically).

I tried selecting the USBTinyISP programmer option, and the 2 other USBTinyISP programmer options listed in ATTINYCore (FAST, SLOW). All had the same response.

Can you please help me get my USBTinyISP programmer working?

Thanks!

sekramer10

Re: can't upload with USBTinyIsp

Post by sekramer10 »

Well I figured out you have to use the "Upload using Programmer" option under the sketch menu to use the USBtinyISP for anyone that ever has this problem in the future.

richjteel

Re: can't upload with USBTinyIsp

Post by richjteel »

sekramer10, I wanted to give you a thumbs up as I have been trying to figure this out. I just tried it out and it works. Too bad I did not see this earlier as it may have saved me from chasing my tail.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”