Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, hamburgers, phono

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
User avatar
j00lz
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:03 am

Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by j00lz »

I've written this app that will let you backup your x0xb0x's data.

It is Windows only for the time being, although Mac OS X and Linux will be supported soon.

Bear in mind this is the first release, and although I have done as much testing as I could, there could still be bugs.

Anyway it's available here: http://safebox.bangontek.com/

I hope you find it useful :D

guest
 
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:35 am

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by guest »

good work

phono
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by phono »

great work, will test this sometime soon

meantime ill sticky this thread

phono
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by phono »

one quick question though, is this universal for all OS's or just for the stock firmware?

User avatar
j00lz
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:03 am

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by j00lz »

Thanks for the positive feedback.
phono wrote:one quick question though, is this universal for all OS's or just for the stock firmware?
It works with both the stock firmware and SokkOS.

I haven't tried n0nx0x, but am sure it won't work. Safe Box will detect an unexpected response length when communicating with the x0xb0x and should handle it gracefully (e.g. report the error and stop).

Paradigm X
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by Paradigm X »

Awesome. Nice one. Will give it a go soon.

:D

textile
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by textile »

Nice! :mrgreen:
I am on OSX though...
I see an ABN , are you in Australia?

User avatar
j00lz
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:03 am

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by j00lz »

8)
I am confident there will be an OS X version soon. I've ported everything to Mono, the application builds and runs in the beta of MonoDevelop, with a few issues: bitmap is displayed upside down in the about box (not a real problem), and I haven't been able to get the SerialPort class to work yet. A bit of Googling indicates that until recently there were bugs in there but they're supposed to be fixed. I need to spend more time investigating the issue, but am currently focusing on Kontrol.

And yes, I am in Perth, WA.
textile wrote:Nice! :mrgreen:
I am on OSX though...
I see an ABN , are you in Australia?

Paradigm X
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by Paradigm X »

Hi Joolz

Well I managed to test it - seemed to work. However;

I got an error when installing, something about trying to download something MS related - my DAW isnt on the internet so cant download. Unsure if needed?

It ran OK and detected my b0x and seemed to do a backup - but where are the backups kept - I couldnt find it! Did search for 'b0x' as this was in the dialog box that came up but no joy, looked in the safeb0x folder and my documents, but no sign.

It would be nice to be able to copy them somewhere i know about for backup purposes.

Im on Windows 7 x64.

Other than that seemed to work fine, not tried deleting a pattern then reinstatin to see what happens.

Cheers, Ben

Paradigm X
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by Paradigm X »

Cool, well i can confirm it works fine, despite the above.

Excellent job! I tried the n0nx0x firware, which wiped eveything, then decided to put s0kk0s back 0n. Reloaded the patterns perfectly, and with no fuss.

Brilliant. Cant wait for full version.

Cheers =)

User avatar
j00lz
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:03 am

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by j00lz »

Thanks for being brave enough to try it out :lol:

I will look into this error with the installer. It's probably related to it trying to get .Net framework components despite the fact that you already had them. I tested it on an XP virtual machine and my Windows 7 box, and it worked fine, however these had internet access. It looks like I need to create and play with more "sandboxes". I will also investigate third party installers, as the one that comes with Visual Studio is quite limited.

The file that stores all the backups can be found in the standard Windows user application data directory. With a typical Windows installation, the path to the file should be:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Bang On Tek\Safe Box\safeboxdata.xml

User avatar
antto
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by antto »

Paradigm X wrote:Cool, well i can confirm it works fine, despite the above.

Excellent job! I tried the n0nx0x firware, which wiped eveything, then decided to put s0kk0s back 0n. Reloaded the patterns perfectly, and with no fuss.

Brilliant. Cant wait for full version.

Cheers =)
uhm, it won't "wipe" everything
just flashing n0nx0x doesn't change the memory
you had to write some patterns with it first ;]

Paradigm X
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by Paradigm X »

j00lz wrote:Thanks for being brave enough to try it out :lol:

I will look into this error with the installer. It's probably related to it trying to get .Net framework components despite the fact that you already had them. I tested it on an XP virtual machine and my Windows 7 box, and it worked fine, however these had internet access. It looks like I need to create and play with more "sandboxes". I will also investigate third party installers, as the one that comes with Visual Studio is quite limited.

The file that stores all the backups can be found in the standard Windows user application data directory. With a typical Windows installation, the path to the file should be:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Bang On Tek\Safe Box\safeboxdata.xml
Cool. it all seemed to work ok so no bother. Only had W7 a month so not sure about paths etc, its all new for me - still used to 'My Documents', which i had on a second drive, so ive just linked it in 'libraries' on w7 and use that. i searched for 'b0x' not 'box'... :)

Def works tho, also did the 'wipe eprom' thing in c0ntr0l as was feeling brave/reckless :lol:
antto wrote:
Paradigm X wrote: tried the n0nx0x firware, which wiped eveything
uhm, it won't "wipe" everything
just flashing n0nx0x doesn't change the memory
you had to write some patterns with it first ;]
Oops - sorry. Didnt realise. I did have a play in bank 1, did a few patterns. Must admit i struggled to get my head round it. Ill reply in your thread :)

phono
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by phono »

Paradigm X wrote:
Oops - sorry. Didnt realise. I did have a play in bank 1, did a few patterns. Must admit i struggled to get my head round it. Ill reply in your thread :)
you should check the how to program a 303 video on my blog, it'll be the same for n0nx0x ;)

Tekneut
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:07 am

Re: Safe Box - x0xb0x EEPROM backup & restore

Post by Tekneut »

Thanks :)

That's going to be a very useful tool for me in the future :D

Locked
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”