Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 3-4 business days. On MLK Day no orders will be shipped.

Feather Header standard?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather Header standard?

by Kangus on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:10 pm

I purchased a Featherwing ThinkInk that came with dual row female headers but I noticed the Featherwing OLED comes with male and all the FeatherWing Doubler/Tripler/Quad and breakouts come with Female headers, is there a standard?
I can add male headers to one position of the Quad for the ThinkInk to resolve my issues or just use double male headers to the Quad.

Kangus

Re: Feather Header standard?

by dastels on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 am

Generally, featherwings that are the same size as a feather mount on top of the feather so they would have male headers and the feather or doubler, etc would have female headers. The featherwings that are larger are designed to have a feather (with male headers) plug into them. Other than the larger wings with preattached female headers there is no standard... you mix and match the headers to suit what you need to do. You can use stacking headers and make a multi-layered stack of wings. You can put female headers on a wing and mount in to the bottom of a feather that has male headers, etc.

The only real standard is the arrangement connections. Having one side with fewer pins ensures that things are lined up correctly.

Dave

dastels

by Kangus on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:54 pm

While looking at the Quad and ThinkInk wing I realized it will not work. The ThinkInk has SMT female connectors, where is no means to use that wing on a Quad. A new Quad needs to be designed to hold an unstackable Wing with the signals switched around to match.

Kangus

by adafruit2 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:09 pm

the thinkinks are pretty big so this is how we could make them work - we dont have a 'reverser' at this time, but its an interesting idea!

adafruit2
Site Admin

by Kangus on Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 am

adafruit2 wrote:the thinkinks are pretty big so this is how we could make them work - we dont have a 'reverser' at this time, but its an interesting idea!

Version .1
Had to remove the eagle components and start from scratch, no means to do 3D models with eagle components.

Kangus

by adafruit2 on Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 pm

looks great! you can post on oshpark :D

adafruit2
Site Admin

by Kangus on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:28 pm

adafruit2 wrote:looks great! you can post on oshpark :D

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/Arco2mZq

It will be a week or so before I can get it tested.

Kangus

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.