VCO no longer making sound
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

VCO no longer making sound

by Grishnakh on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:44 pm

Well up until now I have been quite lucky as I finished my x0xb0x over the weekend and it worked perfectly. Then I noticed the buttons were not positioned quite right and opened it up to fix them, having to reposition some LEDs to make them flush with the front panel.

Put it back together and...no sound. Well I do get sound - if I crank up the volume I can hear popping as if the VCA is working and the VCF definately is sweeping what little noise there is. But the VCO is not producing any sound.

Any ideas as to where I should start? Any components particularly susceptible to ESD? I can see no obvious shorts.

thanks!

brian
Grishnakh

by gzifcak on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:20 pm

check all the ribbon cable connections, i inadvertently broke a few of mine opening the case and moving the boards around.

greg
gzifcak

Fixed!

by Grishnakh on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:22 pm

Just for the record, the problem was relatively simple - the 6562 chip was not soldered very well and several of the pins did not have very good contact with the PCB. In the course of de-soldering some components in order to socket them, I discovered this. Socketed the chip and everything works fine now.

My advice - always socket ICs. Even the NPNs and PNPs with those in-line sockets. Definately worth the extra cost.

Also, check your soldering!
Grishnakh

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.