Soldering Iron - BEST 102C Not Heating

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Cremins

Soldering Iron - BEST 102C Not Heating

Post by Cremins »

Can't get this soldering iron to work. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3685
Maybe I'm missing a step? I've plugged it in and it lights up, but no matter what temperature or how long I wait it doesn't seem to heat up. This is the solder I'm trying to use, if that helps. https://www.adafruit.com/product/1886

Cremins

Re: Soldering Iron - BEST 102C Not Heating

Post by Cremins »

Ok I have taken the tip apart and put it back together and now it heats but the solder just balls up and rolls away instead of tinning the tip.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@Cremins,

That sounds as if the soldering iron is not getting hot enough. Were you able to adjust the temperature on the controls up to 400C (as suggested on the product page).

This soldering iron has an adjustable temperature range from 280ºC to 480ºC. For most lead-free soldering, try 400°C. For lead-based solder, 350°C will do. Adjust as necessary! It may not be as powerful or easy-to-use as the full stand-up Hakko, but it is a lot more portable

Cremins

Post by Cremins »

Thanks! I tried different temperatures and that definitely wasn't the issue. I eventually found an online guide about gently removing the oxidation so it could be tinned and that got it working. I think after I got it heating I let it heat too long before trying the solder.

If anyone finds this and is having the same problem, unplug it, take the tip off as though you're going to remove it, and then put it back together and plug it back in. Should fix the heating issue. Then just be ready to tin it once it heats so your tip doesn't go black.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Good job resolving this. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”