Soldered Wrong Side of Board

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hazer

Soldered Wrong Side of Board

Post by hazer »

I was assembling the TV-B-Gone kit this evening and it is my first time soldering circuit boards. All was going well until I realized I was attaching the components to the wrong side of the board. All of the parts were oriented correctly as laid out, i.e. making sure the long leg of the LED's was soldered to the positive side. While not ideal (soldering on the wrong side), it seemed like I would be able to still assemble it completely. However, when I went to mount the IC socket, I realized that I cannot get the correct pins in the correct holes no matter how I flip it. I am guessing that the pinouts will be wrong on the ic rendering the device useless. Am I correct? Is there a way to get just the IC board?

Thanks.

dastels

Re: Soldered Wrong Side of Board

Post by dastels »

Yes, the IC will be a problem. Simpler parts would be easier to deal with as you found. But ICs need to be connected correctly. and it won't work. Conceivably you could bend the legs of the IC to make it insertable from the bottom of the board, but the likelihood of breaking off legs is very high.

You could go ahead and mount the socket/IC on the correct side of the board. It will change the size of the assembled board somewhat, but will work fine as long as any polarized parts (including transistors) are oriented properly.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”