Troubleshooting

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cranberrysky

Troubleshooting

Post by cranberrysky »

The second minty boost I made doesn't seem to work. It gets the phone to think it's charging, but the percent doesn't go up.

The voltage tests seem to be off now too, while at first they were correct. The two outer USB pins give 5.7V, while the tests on the rightmost pin with each of the middle pins gives about 1.85V.

When soldering the two yellow capacitors, we bridged the two closest pins of C1 and C2, and in the process of desoldering, we kind of scratched up the pcb between them, so I'm not sure if that is the issue. We did a continuity check between the two pins with no phone plugged in and there was continuity, and I'm not sure if that means they are bridged together. I included a photo and marked orange circles near the pins I'm talking about.

Any ideas of what's wrong?
Attachments
PXL_20220219_234654902_3.jpg
PXL_20220219_234654902_3.jpg (861.78 KiB) Viewed 5675 times

cranberrysky

Re: Troubleshooting

Post by cranberrysky »

PXL_20220220_011415986.jpg
PXL_20220220_011415986.jpg (856.22 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
Here's a top view.

cranberrysky

Post by cranberrysky »

I saw a bit of hair or something connecting a couple leads, but I cleaned it up and that didn't fix it.

I tested it again with the multimeter, and the voltage was even higher at ~6V. I tested my first functional Minty Boost using the same batteries just to check if they are the issue and all the voltages were correct.

Looking closely at the spot between the capacitor leads I mentioned in my first post, it seems like maybe scratching off the top layer of the PCB allowed a place for a thin layer of solder to fuse which cant be de-soldered. I'm not sure if that's a possibility.

cranberrysky

Post by cranberrysky »

Also, the chip gets warm even with no phone plugged in.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”