Flora: More than 8 capacitive buttons?

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MrJimmo

Flora: More than 8 capacitive buttons?

Post by MrJimmo »

Hi there.

Main Question:
I saw the Plush Game Controller project (https://learn.adafruit.com/plush-game-c ... r/overview) and that has all the features I want to leverage, except I want 16 'buttons'.

Any examples of using Flora with 16 (or more?) capacitive touch 'buttons'? Not sure if I will need more than 16, but if there's something that allows for arbitrary number, I'd pursue that angle.

The basics of the project:
Create a mostly flat, flexible remote control that will lay on the arm of a recliner. This is for someone with advanced Parkinson's and very limited hand movement.
It's why I want to stay capacitive with a flexible construction, as I think that's the best ergonomic option.

I have my design for button layout, functionality, and all the IR Remote code working in an unrelated project using ESP8266 (simple web-based remote, so no physical buttons in that case) and I'll be referring to the Flora TV-B Gone project for that piece of the puzzle if needed.

So I'm really just down to figuring out how to get more than 8 cap. touch spots wired up to the Flora.

I'm not stuck on using the Flora, but those 2 projects look like they cover all I'm looking for. I'm open to other suggestions, if something else is even easier.

Suggestions, comments much appreciated.

Thanks! :o)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Flora: More than 8 capacitive buttons?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This board has 12 capacitive touch pins: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1982
It connects to the processor via i2c and is addressable so you can have up to 4 of them on the bus. That would give you as many as 48 cap-touch pins.

Virtually all microcontroller boards (including the Flora) support i2c, so you have lots of options.

MrJimmo

Re: Flora: More than 8 capacitive buttons?

Post by MrJimmo »

Awesome! That (I2C) will be something completely new for me to learn.

Thank you! :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”