FONA BATTERY REQUIREMENT

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ghuser

FONA BATTERY REQUIREMENT

Post by ghuser »

Hello,

Due to some shipping restrictions with the shipping methods, i cannot ship lithium ion batteries from Adafruit to use with my fona chips.
Hence, i will have to purchase from elsewhere. However, i wanted to know whether any 3.7 lithium ion battery of a certain capacity ( i will use atleast 800mAh) with JST connector would work with the fona chips or I will have to look at other specific specs of the battery as well.
Thank you for guiding me. I really need to find some some compatible Lithium Ion batteries as the Fona chip does not work without a battery.

Thank you

rskup

Re: FONA BATTERY REQUIREMENT

Post by rskup »

One thing to check is the jst connector polarity, just search "jst polarity" in the FONA forum for details, a bunch of posts will come up.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: FONA BATTERY REQUIREMENT

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We suggest using LiPos with at least 1200mAh storage capacity.

Do be careful to check the connector polarity when using third-party LiPos with the FONA. There are two ways to arrange the positive and negative wires in a JST-PH2 connector, and unfortunately you can find both in the market.

It isn't hard to pull the wires out of the connector and arrange them so they match the FONA, but it's important to make sure the connections are right before you connect the LiPo to the FONA. If you connect one with the wrong polarity, it can kill the FONA almost instantly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”