Another SIM reader thread lol

Talk about the videos and projects (SIM reader, payphones...)

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JunkHerder

Another SIM reader thread lol

Post by JunkHerder »

Hey everyone, amateur electronics hobbyist here. I've just got a simple question about the schematic on the site. There appear to be 3 ICs referenced in the schematic, however the parts list only contains 2. The particular IC I'm confused about is pictured here:
It's got no part number, but it is labeled as IC2. I don't know what it could be and I don't want to just ignore it and find out I was in fact missing something. I'm still in the process of building this circuit (without the PCB, I'm just using a breadboard) so I figured I might as well ask before I finish it just in case.

Thanks for reading :D Since this is my first post, have a cat in a box.

JunkHerder

Re: Another SIM reader thread lol

Post by JunkHerder »

Update: Finally got everything together, seemed like everything was making contact. Tried it: nada. Got fed up and bought the kit. Assembled it last night in two hours. Tried it. Getting the same error I got when I tried making it myself.

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pySimReader.py", line 30, in <module>
  File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 82, in load_module
  File "wx\__init__.pyc", line 45, in <module>
  File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 82, in load_module
  File "wx\_core.pyc", line 4, in <module>
  File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 98, in load_module
ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading wx\_core_.pyd
Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? The board is fine as far as I can tell. Nothing's out of place, all soldered well. I'm thinking it may just be my laptop being uncooperative or the SIM card I'm using to test got messed up when testing the reader made from scratch, but I'm hoping it's something else that I can fix easily. I'd rather not have to look in the source code to find out. I probably wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway.

Plz halp

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

its something with your computer, google for the error

JunkHerder

Post by JunkHerder »

Thank you so much! That was exactly it, and it works just fine now. I'm so delighted that it's working now. Unfortunately despite it working I can't read the card I wanted to read anyway. It's been damaged. T_T Another one I had scavenged read just fine but the one I wanted to read came up blank.

I was trying to help someone recover their numbers from a phone that got thrown in the wash, and I figured "Hey, the card's probably fine, right?" Well, no. Apparently not. =< And that was about two months ago now.

Don't you hate when all the effort you put into a project becomes pointless? Seems like it happens to me a lot. I guess as long as you learn something while working on it there's a least some satisfaction to get from it. Also, now I have a SIM Reader which will definitely come in handy I'm sure.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

Well it's not really pointless as you said yourself.. You learnt some things and now you have a SIM reader if you ever need one!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Citizen Engineer (closed)”