CPX Not Mounting on MacOS

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
parasbuy22

CPX Not Mounting on MacOS

Post by parasbuy22 »

Hi All... we have a number of Circuit Playground Express but none of them are mounting or getting recognized by the computer... as in, nothing is coming up as a drive in Finder so that I can drag CPLAYBOOT, etc., into it. I've tried every permutation of three CPX boards, on two different MacOS computers, and switched around three USB cables. I've confirmed that other peripherals work fine via the USB ports that are being used for the CPX. One of the computers is running 10.13 High Sierra and the other running 11.0 Big Sur.

Any advice?

I have a class of 15 kids next week and am concerned I won't have anything for them!

Thank you.
Paras.

dastels

Re: CPX Not Mounting on MacOS

Post by dastels »

What are you hoping to do with them? Makecode, CircuitPython, or C++/Arduino?

Dave

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Are you testing the cables for communication with a different device? And, do the computers see anything as plugged in (windows plays a sound, I don't know what mac does) also have you tried to double-tap the reset button when plugged in?

parasbuy22

Post by parasbuy22 »

Thank you for your reply....

I have connected the CPX boards via the USB cables using two different Macs with the same result. The LEDs on the CPX do light up on all of them, so power is getting to the boards; but no data. The cables are the ones that came with the CPX boards, so one would assume that they do transmit data. However, I have not checked data with these cables with other peripherals. I will do this today and post a reply. I think we can assume they will work fine, but I will make sure that is the case.

The computers do not see anything as plugged in. An icon will usually appear in the Finder window (ie: Windows Explorer equivalent) but nothing appears in this case on any of the three CPX boards. I have not tried on Windows, I will see if I can do that and will post.

Yes, I have tried double-tapping the reset button. When I do this, all the LEDs except the tiny power LED go off. It looks like the boards go thru an on-board reset sequence, but I'm not sure. After a time, the LEDs will turn on again.

Yes, I plan to use the CPX for Makecode, CircuitPython, C++/Arduino, and anything else.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”