MetroEsp32-s2 Stuck in UF2 mode

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
TI545

MetroEsp32-s2 Stuck in UF2 mode

Post by TI545 »

Maybe this is a hardware question, but I'll ask it here since it happened using wippersnapper.

My metroESP32-S2 board was running beta 34, running on LiPo battery, and the battery went dead. When I plugged in the USB cable to restart everything, wippersnapper was messed up, my secrets file was corrupted.

A] So I did the double-tap reset thing, and drag-dropped wippersnapper beta 38 onto the board, But that didn't work, it did not show up as a USB drive. Single reset - nothing. Double-tap reset - nothing.

B] So . . . I went back to the metroESP32-s2 primary guide, starting over. I followed the ROM bootloader instructions ( esptool.py version 4.1) downloaded the latest file, ran the command:

Code: Select all

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyACM0 --after=no_reset write_flash 0x0 combined.bin
. Got the expected messages, no problem. After reset it shows us as "METROS2BOOT". Great.

I drag-dropped wippersnapper onto it, nothing. No "WIPPER" drive shows up.

C] Then I thought I'd load circuitpython. Ran the command (from the same primary page as in B] above: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... bootloader ) with the metroESP32-S2 circuitpython 7.3.1 bin file,

Code: Select all

esptool.py -p /dev/ttyACM0 --after no_reset write_flash 0x0 adafruit-circuitpython-adafruit_metro_esp32s2-en_US-7.3.1.bin
But when I now hit the reset button, it still shows up as METROS2BOOT.bin

I seem to be stuck here in UF2 mode, any suggestions? Doing something wrong?

mikeysklar

Re: MetroEsp32-s2 Stuck in UF2 mode

Post by mikeysklar »

Does an unplug and replug of the MetroESP32-S2 get you back to a CircuitPython drive?

It is strange that the BOOT drive is now called "METROS2BOOT.bin" versus what you originally saw "METROS2BOOT" when you used the combined.bin to wipe it.

TI545

Post by TI545 »

Sorry, that's a typo, there's no .bin in the name of the device.

Power cycle (unplug replug) has no affect. It stays in UF2 mode.

Is there a better way I should try, to do a full wipe and start over?

TI545

Post by TI545 »

Hmmm, found this in a differnet tutorial. I'll give it a try.

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... h_nuke.uf2

TI545

Post by TI545 »

Or, do I use this file instead?
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-QT ... -reset.UF2

That's obviously for the qtpyESP32s2, I looked for a file for the metroESP32s2 on your github, and didn't see one. Any suggestion? Ok, I'll go with the nuke option. My board's not working, what do I have to lose?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Bottom right on the CircuitPython Metro ESP32-S2 page has the bootloader firmware update process. You were on the right track with combined.bin.

Keep in mind that this process is different than many other Adafruit boards in that it is not a double tap to get into bootloader mode, but a press and hold down the BOOT or 0 button while press and release the RESET button.

https://circuitpython.org/board/adafruit_metro_esp32s2/
Unzip to find the file combined.bin.
Place board in bootloader mode:
Plug board into a USB port on your computer using a data/sync cable. Make sure it is the only board plugged in, and that a charge-only cable is not being used.
Press and hold down the BOOT or 0 button.
Press and release the RESET or RST button.
Release the BOOT button.
Upload combined.bin (Google Chrome 89 or newer):
Open ESP Web Flasher in a new window/tab.
Select 460800 Baud from the pull-down menu (top-right).
Click Connect (top-right).
Select the COM or Serial port from the pop-up window.
After successful connection, click Erase.
After successful erase, click any Choose a file..., then locate and select the combined.bin file unzipped earlier.
After successfully choosing combined.bin, click Program.
After the TinyUF2 firmware update is complete, press the RESET button on the board. A new drive BOOT should be visible in your file browser.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

^ The steps above should get the TinyUSB bootloader back. We're adding an "uninstalling wippersnapper" to all guide pages to make this process more clear.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”