ESP32-S2 Power Issues

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rhiliam

ESP32-S2 Power Issues

Post by rhiliam »

Good afternoon all. I have the "original" ESP32-S2 with the BME280 on board. I just recently got around to breaking them open and setting them up. Although the code is working as expected, none of the 4 boards ever go past 2 days without requiring a reset. Basically, the code,

1) joins wifi
2) reads the BME
3) transmits via MQTT
4) enters deep sleep for 5 minutes, then repeat

I have also, put on alternate code, whereby I don't use deep sleep and just use a while true: statement and that seems to work fine, although the sensor readings are significantly off - ~ 4-8 degrees C. which tracks with what I read, which is why deep sleep is required when using this board.

Not sure what to do next, so any feedback would be appreciated. I have read the documentation and it seems that this board has been revised a few times with enhancements to the power saving mode. So, I am not sure whether my issue is with the code (combo of adafruit and my own) or if I am tripping over something else.

Thanks.

rhiliam

Re: ESP32-S2 Power Issues

Post by rhiliam »

So, I have rearranged and refactored my code, and that seems to have helped. The devices have been running for almost 4 days with no reset required. The order of operations has also changed.

1) Take sensor readings
2) Connect to WIFI
3) Transmit via MQTT
4) Enter Deep Sleep

Not sure if this will resolved the issue long term, but thought I would post anyway in case anyone else was having a similar issue.

rhiliam

Post by rhiliam »

Looks, like the problem is not resolved - it just takes longer to happen.

I am convinced however the issue is the power saving code, which was taken directly from the learning guide as this doesn't happen with the other code that doesn't try to save power.

Not sure how to proceed. Admin or anyone at Adafruit, could use some assistance as right now these 4 boards are useless to me.

breckymorris

Post by breckymorris »

I don't have a solution, but I'll second the problem. The BME280 reads high and spikes sometimes due to the processor getting hot. If I try and put in a sleep, it hangs sometimes. I switched to an external sensor, but that's not a real solution. It'll run fine for a few days and then hang for whatever reason. Also followed the power saving code from Adafruit.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Have you tried to disconnect from wifi before going into deep sleep?

rhiliam

Post by rhiliam »

Yes, before invoking the power saving code, I shut down pretty much anything, however as I understand this shouldn't be necessary as the power saving code is supposed to do this.

I will also confirm that the BME reads very high - as much as 10 degrees C above true ambient. Therefore, the power saving code is a hard requirement for this to be useful for its intended purpose.

Important to note, that one of the boards hasn't had any issues in over two months, but the other three need a reset once a week or so.

At this point, I can't use these as intended and will need to source something else. These 4 boards will end up in other projects where the BME is not required.

However, it is BANNED that no one from Adafruit has responded to this issue since the initial post.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Unlocking this topic so we continue working issue here instead of multiple threads.

Let's try sending *one* replacement Feather and see if it actually resolved the power issues you are seeing before replacing all of them.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and they can send you *one* replacement ESP32-S2.

rhiliam

Post by rhiliam »

Update on this. At your request, I did indeed send an email to support but that didn't go well. The position of person who responded to my email is that the best they can do is offer a 10% discount if I was to reorder this product. The rationale is that I didn't report the issue within the 30 day warranty.

So, the story I have so far is.

1) I post a problem where no one from support answers, even when I suspect the defect was already known by Adafruit.
2) I follow-up (albeit some time later) and finally get a support person to engage.
3) I get told that there is nothing they can do, but encourage me to buy 4 new feathers and I will receive a 10% discount.

I am extremely disappointed that this is the position that Adafruit has taken. I have received much better support from Chinese companies half a world away.

If this was a simple manufacturing defect with my specific board that I didn't catch, then I wouldn't have an issue, but that's not the case here. I, along with others have a product that the CEO publicly confirmed was defective, whereby a core feature doesn't work correctly which required a new version of the board to be created. To hide behind a 30 day warranty in this scenario is simply poor business practice.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

? did you tell support you were offered a replacement by the forum support team? you can send them a link to this thread (see carter's post with instructions here viewtopic.php?p=988723#p988723 )

rhiliam

Post by rhiliam »

I did indeed do that. I also highlighted that in the email exchange - that didn't seem to matter. All I kept getting was feel free to order more at a 10% discount.

I can certainly forward you the email chain if you'd like to review it.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

no need, i think there's a miscommuncation because we do replacements all the time!
please reply and you can link to this message that you should get a https://www.adafruit.com/product/5303 replacement even though it has been a while :)

rhiliam

Post by rhiliam »

I have responded to the last note, requesting that they again look at this forum post.

Hopefully, they will take of this.

rhiliam

Post by rhiliam »

Support, quick update for you. I have received the replacement board earlier today, and have it configured and currently running. A few things to note:

1) I had to update the code to account for the change in battery monitor. My existing boards used the LC709203F and the new one uses the MAX17048. In the grand scheme of things this shouldn't matter, but wanted to make note of this change. I also noticed that the battery percentage is reading 103.25% using the new chip, not sure if that is an issue or not.
2) The power saving code is the current example on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-esp ... management - Also note that this has changed since I last looked at it. Assuming it was updated after the new board version(s) came out.
3) I also noticed that when the new board goes into power savings mode ALL LED lights turn off, including the one on the external SHT40 sensor. This is in contrast to my existing boards, where the main LED on the board sometime does and the LED on the sensor board only dims, never goes out.

As I write this, the board has only been running for about an hour, so will see how it goes. The longest any of my existing boards have lasted before hanging/crashing has been about 24 hours (give or take) when trying to use power saving mode, so will see how long this one goes.

rhiliam

Post by rhiliam »

Quick follow up to this. So far the new board has been working without issue from a 1200mah battery since my last post.

The original boards continue to lock up/crash within 24 hours of being reset.

I would like to proceed with the RMA/Replacement of the other 3 boards. Please let me know how to proceed.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

sure email support@adafruit, can reply to previous email and ask for the rest - with a link to this post

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”