New(ish) Trinkets won't flash! Old ones work great!

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jdog

New(ish) Trinkets won't flash! Old ones work great!

Post by Jdog »

Hey folks, I have an odd little scenario... Trinkets 5v PRO are amongst my top 5 favs microcontrollers, and I've used them in lots of projects.. (i know they're obsolete now, but I love 'em :-) ) I was down to my last few, so I had ordered a set of 4 from another vendor to bolster my supplies. The older ones I had ordered from you continue to work beautifully. I can flash them no problem. But using the same PC and cables, none of the recent ones I purchased can be flashed using either FTDI or USB! Windows simply says that the devices aren't recognized. Are you aware of anything that changed with recent trinkets, or is it possible there was a bad batch? Appreciate any insight you can offer! Thanks!

adafruit_support_carter

Re: New(ish) Trinkets won't flash! Old ones work great!

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Is this happening with all the boards from that order? 4 of 4? Or just some?

Jdog

Post by Jdog »

Alas, the full set of 4 fails.. Oddly enough, the few older ones I have continue to flash just fine! I should say that the set is 'new' to me.. I have no idea what their actual vintage is...

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks for confirming.

Try checking the reset button behavior with one of the 4 "new" boards.
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... er-1710743
Do you get the red pulsing LED?

Jdog

Post by Jdog »

Good heavens.. just went through my trinket stash and I had ordered 6 of 'em! So, no... as soon as I plug in a affected trinket, windows says USB device not recognized. The green LED is on steady, and the red LED does not flash. This is also true if I just plug it into a 5v supply. If I hit the reset button.. the green LED stays on, and the red LED does nothing. This is true for all 6. Seems like they can't get to bootloader.

By contrast, I've confirmed that my two other older trinkets flash the red LEDs on both startup and reset. Windows is happy and they can be flashed. Same exact environment.

The only thing that's apparently different is the packaging.. The ones that work came in a small clear ziplock labelled W2674. All the affected Trinkets came in a larger red bubble wrap taped shut.. They're labelled P2000C. Any chance that the packaging had some static issue that effected them? Mysterious no?

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks for checking. Let's just replace them. Is 6 the final count of affected boards?

PiShop_Support

Post by PiShop_Support »

Hi!

I'm Martin from PiShop.ca technical support. I've requested units from our warehouse, one Trinket Pro 5V and one 3V.
My 5V P2000 does as described above, green LED and no RED LED, with the Windows message about a USB device not recognized. It is the same result on two recent Windows 10 machines and also on a 2009 Toshiba laptop running Windows 7.

The Pro Trinket 3V P2010 DOES show the red LED as shown in the link provided. Could it be a bootloader issue on our batch of Pro Trinket 5V P2000?

The P2000 I have is in a red bubble envelope with the Adafruit product label, the P2010 is in a pinkish bag with the Adafruit label.

Anything I can do to help?

adafruit_support_carter

Hi @PiShop_Support. Are you the same vendor @Jdog originally ordered from? Or is this a separate issue?

PiShop_Support

Post by PiShop_Support »

Hi @adafruit_support_carter,

Yes, @Jdog is our customer, reference PiShop.ca HS#112464.
I have an order of 4x Adafruit Pro Trinket - 5V 16MHz on 2022-04-29 and 3x Adafruit Pro Trinket - 5V 16MHz on 2021-09-07
He also ordered more units before that of various flavours, I saw some 3V Pro Trinket in his orders.

Martin

Jdog

Post by Jdog »

Yep! The recent order was for 4, and I have a few from a previous order as well. Replacing them would be fantastic! Thanks to you and Martin at PiShop for the excellent support. Will the new ones come in via Martin, or will they come to me directly?

PiShop_Support

Post by PiShop_Support »

Hi @Jdog, @Adafruit,

PiShop.ca is currently out of stock, and we will probably not replenish this product in favour of the M0 variant(s).

We would appreciate it if you could arrange a direct replacement with our customer, please!

Thanks,
Martin
Technical department head
PiShop.ca|.us

adafruit_support_carter

Yep, we can replace them.

@Jdog Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and they can send you 6 replacement Trinkets.

Jdog

Post by Jdog »

Done! Thank you all once again for the excellent support! I'll look forward to getting the replacements! Cheers!

Jdog

Post by Jdog »

Well folks.. that didn't go so well.. Cudos to the support team for reaching out, but all the trinkets are apparently out of stock, and I don't qualify for a store credit as my trinkets weren't purchased directly from Adafruit.

Do we expect the trinkets 5v PRO will be back or are they completely discontinued? If so, I think I may be out in the cold here..

Jeffrey

adafruit_support_carter

One idea - these boards are probably not totally dead. If possible, could try this to see if re-programming the bootloader might save them:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”