Trinket Lilon/Poly Backpack Burns Up

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SAYandle

Trinket Lilon/Poly Backpack Burns Up

Post by SAYandle »

I have two Audio FX Sound Boards and purchased the recommended Lilon 3.7v 500mAh battery and Lipoly Backpack to use with them. When connecting a battery to the backpack charger, it instantly gets extremely hot and I have to quickly disconnect the battery. Have tried this on two different #2124 chargers. One was already soldered to the back of the FX board, and the other was stand-alone. Either way, the Backpack gets extremely hot very quickly and has to be disconnected immediately. Please tell me what is wrong here. Am I not
understanding the proper use of the backpack?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Trinket Lilon/Poly Backpack Burns Up

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Which specific LiPo battery were you using? Can you link to product page.

SAYandle

Post by SAYandle »

I am using one of three LiPoly Batteries your product recommends: Adafruit product ID: 1578
This is PKCELL LP503035 3.7v 500mAh.

SAYandle

Post by SAYandle »

I am using one of three LiPoly Batteries your product recommends: Adafruit product ID: 1578
This is PKCELL LP503035 3.7v 500mAh. The Backpack Charger is Adafruit product ID: 2124

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Thanks. Those should all generally be OK.

And for reference, here's the general information about using the Lipoly Backpack with the Audio FX Board:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... ck-2427310

For the one that is already soldered on, maybe something is shorted? Can you post a photo of that setup so we can check the general state of the hardware.

For the stand-alone one, that's with nothing else connected? Basically just plugging in the PID 1578 LiPo battery into the PID 2124 Backpack?

SAYandle

Post by SAYandle »

I'm not posting pics because I had already disassembled (un-soldered) and removed the backpack. I purchased 4 of them in two different orders, and so far have tried two, both of which fried instantly. I carefully checked the polarity before trying the second one. With correct polarity the board still fried the instant I connected the recommended battery to it. I'm too afraid to try the other two right now. I've also read in this forum, and numerous reviews where numerous other customers have experienced the same problem. Also, just FYI, I have been in electronics for fifty of my 68 years of life, so I'm not working with this blindly. It's a very simple hookup. I have ordered a third party 6-port USB-type charging unit for 3.7 volt LiPo batteries that has built-in protection against shorts, reversed polarity, etc. It also is returnable for replacement or refund should there be any problems. So I won't pursue the battery issue any further. I'll just charge these batteries separately using the unit I've ordered.

I would like to comment about one issue, and then ask two questions about the Audio FX Soundboard. I have three of the 16mb with built-in 2-watt amplifier units. I think I fried the first one along with the backpack I had soldered to it. However, I wired up the second unit with direct battery hook-up, and the power LED lit up as it should. I had already prepared eleven .OGG audio files to load into the unit. I connected to my desktop pc and removed the factory audio test file, then wrote my audio files to it using the naming convention: T00.ogg thru T10-ogg as Adafruit instructions clearly indicate. The files transferred successfully... no problem there. After dismounting the unit from USB (the proper way) and connecting my speakers, I could not get the unit to trigger and play anything. After several hours of reading forums, I read somewhere, can't remember where I found it, but that sometimes the unit might be reading the filename as "T00.ogg.ogg". I knew I named them "T00.ogg" as instructed, but it came to me to reconnect to the desktop and rename the files by dropping the .ogg extension altogether, and just call them "T00" thru "T10". I did that, and low and behold the unit works just fine. Question 1: Why is this not addressed directly in the instructions? The second question is really a request. Would you please explain the two traces on the back side of the FX Soundboard that are labeled as G0 and G1. I read somewhere on the forum where that has to do with gain control. I'm dissatisfied with the extremely low volume output of the amp on this unit. Can I do something with these "gain control traces" by cutting the trace on G0, or soldering together the traces on G1 to increase the gain (if, infact, that is what these traces are for)? It appears (see photo) that G0 is connected while G1 is not. What does this mean?
Attachments
It appears in the photo that G0 is connected while G1 is not.
It appears in the photo that G0 is connected while G1 is not.
2217-05 - Back Side - 02.JPG (54.16 KiB) Viewed 113 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”