Fuel Gauge Monitor PLUS OLED Display?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CYMotorsport

Fuel Gauge Monitor PLUS OLED Display?

Post by CYMotorsport »

I saw the fuel gauge and monitor board (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4712) which I'm going to pick up to measure your 6600 mAh LiPo pack.

Reading through the guide and seeing the product images, I was curious if you had a resource that existed to successfully wire another product of yours; the Adafruit FeatherWing OLED - 128x64 OLED feather add on (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4650), to be the display similar to what you have in the product images?

Hoping you can confirm this is indeed possible which I assume so. Also, is there a sample sketch that can be modified that maybe I can make work? I figure I'd ask before buying the board to ensure it's possible.

Nick

dastels

Re: Fuel Gauge Monitor PLUS OLED Display?

Post by dastels »

I don't know where that example code is (if anywhere), but if you can put text on the OLED screen (the SH110x OLED Featherwing example shows how), then you can display the readings from the Fuel Gauge, which the LC709203F_demo example shows how to do.

Dave

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

I've gotten the LC709203F_demo going no problems and readings via the serial monitor however i'm still unable to get it working on the oled. But I did get the OLED to splash. Did you mean to include the SH110x library when running the LC709203F_demo? I could just be overthinking this honestly.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Can you get the OLED demos working?

Dave

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

yes. I imagine there's something simple somewhere within this demo I can manipulate to spit out the readings. & I'm more than happy fumbling around with it - I wouldn't ask you specifically to produce code that's not fair to do. So if all that's left is just manipulate, but it's clearly possible, I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure. But if there's an element I might be misunderstanding or you think I should focus on to bridge the gap, that could help push me over the top.

dastels

Post by dastels »

If you get/have the display demos running that output text, and can read from the fuel gauge, you're most of the way to having battery status displaying on the display.

Dave

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

Hey team,

It's been a few weeks and for whatever reason I can't get the OLED screen to show the lipo % like the example on the product page seen below. Maybe this is an odd request, but have you had anyone pay for code consult stuff like this? I wouldn't ask for code solutions on this forum and it's fully defeated me so doubtful I'll use it without the OLED so I guess it's a hail mary request but would happily pay for a code solution to get it to display lipo% using a feather board.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4712

Totally understandable if there's not a place within the shop for something like this but on the off chance it exists and I have never come across it, I had to ask.

nick

dastels

Post by dastels »

Where's the problem? reading the % or displaying it in the screen?

Dave

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

I actually had it showing in serial monitor - of course today it isn't but I think I can trouble shoot that - assuming I do resolve it, what I couldn't figure out was the code to show the % via the display. specifically that set up is a feather 32u stacked.

I went digging on the forums and was trying to tamper with your response here a few years ago actually:

viewtopic.php?p=895364&hilit=fuel+gauge ... y#p895364
It was helpful as I was mostly following along but never got it up on the display correctly. At this point I can't dump much more time in it - it's my own problem I know that. but I hate giving up on a great piece of tech bc of my own ignorance hence why I mentioned i'd happily pay someone for ready to go solution. but I want to be clear - I'm not asking you specifically for that. that would be unfair as these forums are not for asking for those kinds of solutions from people. Just is there a place on adafruit for a specialized request like this?

dastels

Post by dastels »

To confirm... Can you display text on the display?

Dave

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

No. & if it matters as mentioned just confirming again it's the feather 32u.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Hmm. Do you have another board with more RAM to try it with? I'm wondering it that could be the problem.

Dave

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting back. Here are the boards I have laying around that could be used:
- Feather M4 which I believe has 192 KB ram
- My RP2040 has a ton but without flash. but if I could use this I think I could use stemma to connect the fuel gauage which is nice
- My leonardo has 2.5KB of sram
- I've got a few teensy's with 8k ram

Will any of these suffice enough that I can go experiment on this theory or should I be shooting for a whole different ballpark?

dastels

Post by dastels »

The Feather M4 has plenty of RAM for the task.

Dave

CYMotorsport

Post by CYMotorsport »

I think that will also do the trick as far as the splash screen showing. but beyond that, my issue has always been just getting those parameters in the example to display on the screen.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”