SokkOS 2.0, beta

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sokkan

SokkOS 2.0, beta

Post by Sokkan »

Notable added features:

MIDI transpose. Send a note between C2 and C4(C3 and C5 on some devices) to transpose the current running pattern in pattern play mode.

MIDI sysex. The x0xb0x can now send and receive pattern banks via MIDI sysex. In keyboard mode, press R/S and NEXT to dump the pattern bank the bank knob points to. Press R/S and PREV to load a bank into the pattern bank the bank knob point to. NOTE: turning the bank knob in keyboard mode will change the bank you want to send/receive to but also change the MIDI out channel. NOTE2: It is perfectly possible to royally screw up things with MIDI sysex receive, please dump your patterns via the excellent application available at the x0xb0x forum before you start experimenting.

Press the TEMPO knob in edit mode to toggle triplet mode. Triplet patterns can be maximum 15 notes long. (A regular pattern of 16 notes will be truncated to 15.)

Transpose a pattern in edit mode. Press PREV and UP or DOWN for transposing the pattern in half note steps. NOTE: a note can not be transposed out of range, be careful with patterns on the boundaries.
x0xb0x.hex.zip
Firmware
(15.81 KiB) Downloaded 2052 times
ReleaseNotes.pdf.zip
Release Notes
(19.41 KiB) Downloaded 2005 times
SokkOS.zip
Source Code
(81.61 KiB) Downloaded 1414 times

altitude

Re: SokkOS 2.0, beta

Post by altitude »

Woot!

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Sokkan wrote: MIDI sysex.

AWESOME!

great work!

e:pp:ik

Post by e:pp:ik »

Wow wow wow! Thanks!

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Any comments so far? (11 downloads)

This will be the release version if no serious bugs pop up.

Anyone tried sysex dumping/loading? I used sysexLibrarian on the mac and had no problems myself.

Luap

Post by Luap »

Hi Sokkan, I will try it shortly, hopefully this evening 8)
I did post this in the other thread, but I think you missed it, so forgive me for reposting it here..

Did you ever figure out what caused the bug where the action of the Rest/Accent/Slide buttons would occasionally stick when used live? Because other than that, I found the firmware to be perfect already. Although it would be fun to try new features too of course.

Thanks for your continued work on Sokkos :D

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Luap wrote: Did you ever figure out what caused the bug where the action of the Rest/Accent/Slide buttons would occasionally stick when used live? Because other than that, I found the firmware to be perfect already. Although it would be fun to try new features too of course.
Haha!
I have meant to answer this all the other times you asked but apparently forgot... :)

No.

However, I do have a hunch of what is causing it and it might be hard to catch. I'll look into it when I get some more time.

u96

Post by u96 »

Hello Sokkan, you've recommended to use another software instead of c0ntr0l to update the firmware, could you possibly post where to get this software and how to use it? Thank you.

e:pp:ik

Post by e:pp:ik »

Sokkan may be referring to the modded version of c0ntr0l.

http://x0xsource.com/c0ntr0l_v1.0Eil.r10_Win32.zip

I'm going to set up the beta in the coming days so I'll post findings!

pACHE

Post by pACHE »

Hello Sokkan ! I have tested this release for 2 hours. And so far work great (I'm still x0xb0x beginner but anyway). I have some notes

- midi transpose : work great. However, the note has to be sent before the step 1, so I cannot use it the way I want (send a note when I change pattern on my hardware sequencer (machinedrum))
- pattern change : work great with channel 1, but cannot get it work for other bank. It's probably my fault, or related with my machinedrum/settings. And same thing than note transpose, the program change has to be sent before the step 1.
- loop mode : I noticed a bug (was in 1.9 too) about this mode. When you want to loop in a 8 step pattern you have to wait for the pattern to repeat twice before entering in the loop. So it really hard to predict when the loop will start in a 8th pattern.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

u96 wrote:Hello Sokkan, you've recommended to use another software instead of c0ntr0l to update the firmware, could you possibly post where to get this software and how to use it? Thank you.
Yes, that is javrprog, the java program for uploading firmware. There are some install instructions on the adafruit site and probably some here on the forum. I prefer it because it wont let you burn firmware that is larger than the maximum limit thus inhibiting the risk of overwriting the bootloader. If you ever only is going to upload other trusted peoples firmware it doesn't matter really. I also find javrprog immensely more reliable.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Thanks, some real input!
pACHE wrote: - midi transpose : work great. However, the note has to be sent before the step 1, so I cannot use it the way I want (send a note when I change pattern on my hardware sequencer (machinedrum))
- pattern change : work great with channel 1, but cannot get it work for other bank. It's probably my fault, or related with my machinedrum/settings. And same thing than note transpose, the program change has to be sent before the step 1.
- loop mode : I noticed a bug (was in 1.9 too) about this mode. When you want to loop in a 8 step pattern you have to wait for the pattern to repeat twice before entering in the loop. So it really hard to predict when the loop will start in a 8th pattern.
The reason MIDI transpose and pattern change work the way they do is because that functionality was already there. It works just as if you transposed or changed pattern by pressing some buttons on the x0xb0x. This will mean that it will only act at the end of a pattern. Pattern change and transpose at the same time will never work then unfortunately, the only solution would be to transpose the pattern in edit mode and save a transposed version(you can do that now in 2.0).

loop mode: Oops! :oops:
Thanks for pointing that out. It is an easy fix, I just forgot to set the loop end to the real pattern length instead of the maximum length. A nine note triplet pattern will start looping on the sixth note the second round...
A fix will be included in the next update, at the moment there is nothing left so I need to free some space first.

pACHE

Post by pACHE »

Sokkan wrote:Thanks, some real input!
pACHE wrote: - midi transpose : work great. However, the note has to be sent before the step 1, so I cannot use it the way I want (send a note when I change pattern on my hardware sequencer (machinedrum))
The reason MIDI transpose and pattern change work the way they do is because that functionality was already there. It works just as if you transposed or changed pattern by pressing some buttons on the x0xb0x. This will mean that it will only act at the end of a pattern. Pattern change and transpose at the same time will never work then unfortunately, the only solution would be to transpose the pattern in edit mode and save a transposed version(you can do that now in 2.0).

loop mode: Oops! :oops:
Thanks for pointing that out. It is an easy fix, I just forgot to set the loop end to the real pattern length instead of the maximum length. A nine note triplet pattern will start looping on the sixth note the second round...
A fix will be included in the next update, at the moment there is nothing left so I need to free some space first.
That was I supposed ;) Do you think it's hard to do code pattern transpose "on the fly", i.e. dissociate this with pattern start ?
I have to figure out a way to do changes with my machine drum now :)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

pACHE wrote: That was I supposed ;) Do you think it's hard to do code pattern transpose "on the fly", i.e. dissociate this with pattern start ?
It should actually be trivial and may not even take up any more code space, it is perhaps a good idea? Since you are already using external means of controlling the x0xb0x I see no point in having it transpose only on pattern boundaries. I will look into it.

pACHE

Post by pACHE »

Sokkan wrote:
pACHE wrote: That was I supposed ;) Do you think it's hard to do code pattern transpose "on the fly", i.e. dissociate this with pattern start ?
It should actually be trivial and may not even take up any more code space, it is perhaps a good idea? Since you are already using external means of controlling the x0xb0x I see no point in having it transpose only on pattern boundaries. I will look into it.
Regardless of the implementation :
- pattern change/transpose from the x0xb0x should work the way they do now, i.e. commit the change at the end of the current pattern. It allows anticipation when playing live.
- pattern change/transpose from midi should start immediately because the general use case is to drive the x0x from ableton clips (or likes) or an external sequencer. There is no easy way to tell those sequencer to send information before the triggering of the new clip to allow the x0xb0x do the pattern change on time.
BUT : will it be fast enough to not squeeze or fail the first note of the new pattern ? Will it stay in sync after that ?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”