SokkOS 2.0, beta

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
biggnoize

Re: SokkOS 2.0, beta

Post by biggnoize »

oh and

what about this

Using Ableton as master, when i have to stop the sequence, select a new cue point and start again, the xox continues from the step
it left off on, it doesn't start from the 1st step of the patterm

My other drum machine (707, 909) start from the 1st step when I stop ableton, select a new cue point and start again, just the xox starts, or rather continues, and whatever bar it left off on

human fly

Post by human fly »

sokkhan: would u consider doing an alternative version taking into account
3phase's requests? like, cut down on the non-303 features, and focus on
replicating functions of original exactly, within the existing cpu?(but allowing
editing without stopping sequencer...)
or does this eat enough time already?

3phase

Post by 3phase »

human fly wrote:sokkhan: would u consider doing an alternative version taking into account
3phase's requests? like, cut down on the non-303 features, and focus on
replicating functions of original exactly, within the existing cpu?(but allowing
editing without stopping sequencer...)
or does this eat enough time already?
i would think that antos nonxox system is rather the place tp try to get real 303ish..

but as antos nonxox would benefit from some sokkos functionality the sokos could benefit from some original 303 features..

like the triplets now.-. they are defently beneficial..

things that come in my mind imideatly that i i miss from a real 303 is the ability to edit multi bar patterns... because i mostly do 2 bar 303 patterns...

and the realtime gate input.. to quickly get a rhytmical idea into the sequencer..

safetyboy

Post by safetyboy »

human fly

Post by human fly »

well i don't know if this relevant, - may be covered already - but if 'start' has a reset
trigger to ensure it starts from top of sequence each time you hit 'play', then a NOT
gate with a reset trigger will ensure it returns to top of bar on 'stop'.

altitude

Post by altitude »

This is not a problem, just how the sequencer works. if you want it to restart, send a midi start message, if not dont. That is the most flexible method since not everyone would want it to always restart the loop (and also how a midi device should react). All the code is open source if you want to make changes specific to your setup..

human fly

Post by human fly »

yes. of course. i forget. :)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

I freed up quite a lot of code space some time ago.

So, I have space to implement 2 new features in edit mode. If the sequencer is stopped, you basically get pitch+time as separate inputs, if you start the sequencer or have it running you get real-time input of what was put in with the sequencer stopped or with what was already in the pattern.

This is the most 303-like editing modes I could think of that is easy to implement.

Unfortunately, I am out of button-press combinations.

So, is this a good idea?
I need to rearrange stuff to get it to work probably, or in the worst case actually remove something. Any suggestions on what button press/presses feels most natural for selecting the AlmostButNotReallyA303-mode?

altitude

Post by altitude »

Oh hell yes.

What about using the tempo button as a "shift"?
Last edited by altitude on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

I wouldnt mind so long as everything in the current sokkos (1.91) works as it does currently. Its absolutely perfect IMO (non 303 owner tho..)

Personally the sysex is of no interest to me... could be removed. To be honest it doesnt do anything the safeb0x application cant do... Sorry :)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Paradigm X wrote:I wouldnt mind so long as everything in the current sokkos (1.91) works as it does currently. Its absolutely perfect IMO (non 303 owner tho..)

Personally the sysex is of no interest to me... could be removed. To be honest it doesnt do anything the safeb0x application cant do... Sorry :)
The current stuff is mostly left intact at the moment. I also did some bugfixes, notably the loop-mode when having non-16step patterns, I also changed the MIDI transpose into acting instantly.

Sysex does one thing you can not do with safeb0x, you can save and load patterns on a computer without setting up all the USB-driver stuff for the x0xb0x. :)

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Cool; never thought of that. Ive been one of the lucky ones who the USB just worked first time. Youre right, a lot of people do have issues with the USB side.

Not a criticism; your firmware really does take the x0x to a next level and i really appreciate all the time youve put into it ;)

:D

kroffe

Post by kroffe »

I got an issue with the transpose-function:
When using two x0xb0xes and slaving the other one via MIDI sync, the first one keeps sending transpose from the pattern of the first one. Is there a way of turning off with output of midi notes while using the x0xb0x as a midi master?

(off course you could sidestep this problem by using DIN-sync for synchronisation, I know that) :)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

kroffe wrote:I got an issue with the transpose-function:
When using two x0xb0xes and slaving the other one via MIDI sync, the first one keeps sending transpose from the pattern of the first one. Is there a way of turning off with output of midi notes while using the x0xb0x as a midi master?

(off course you could sidestep this problem by using DIN-sync for synchronisation, I know that) :)
You can not turn off the outputting of MIDI notes.

However:

<captain obvious>
Have you tried setting the slaved x0xb0x to a different MIDI channel than the master is sending on?
</captain obvious>

kroffe

Post by kroffe »

Sokkan wrote: <captain obvious>
Have you tried setting the slaved x0xb0x to a different MIDI channel than the master is sending on?
</captain obvious>
doh! :lol:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”