feather M0 RFM9X Unresponsive

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
imnotjames

feather M0 RFM9X Unresponsive

Post by imnotjames »

It seems that one of the Feather M0 RFM9x (part no 3178) I purchased in order 2896618 is not operating as expected. I received the order yesterday - I opened it up and got to testing everything.

I was able to plug in one of them and use it - the orange light displays as expected and then the red light to the right of the USB flashes a few times. Connects, does what it's supposed to! I can run some code against it.

Unfortunately, the other one I received does not - the orange light turns on when I plug it in but no red light displays. This is using the same USB cable to connect both. Linux notes that there's something wrong with the USB, same with Windows. Hitting reset on the board does not seem to change anything - it does reset it but I get the error message again.

I was able to flash the working one with CircuitPython (yay!) but not the malfunctioning one.

I see no unintentional bridging, no visual differences between the two boards. (If I didn't mark the good one I would not be able to tell them apart)

Any suggestions on a path forward?

dastels

Re: feather M0 RFM9X Unresponsive

Post by dastels »

So no amount of double-pressing reset will product a BOOT drive? Have you read through https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... module/faq to see if any of the advice there helps?

Dave

imnotjames

Post by imnotjames »

dastels wrote:So no amount of double-pressing reset will product a BOOT drive?
Does not seem to, no. On Windows I only seem to get a USB error message pop up.

With the other Feather M0, double pressing reset pretty much instantly kicks it into the bootloader (no BOOT drive but the red LED starts "breathing", it shows up as a COM device & I can flash it with Bossa)
dastels wrote: Have you read through https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... module/faq to see if any of the advice there helps?
Yup! First thing I had thought was I somehow used a charge-only cable but the cable I used works just fine with the other Feather M0, as well as a few other devices.

I'm not trying to use the Arduino IDE for this yet - I am trying to flash circuitpython using Bossa per the Feather M0 with Lora instructions. For the other Feather M0 I was able to find the COM device when plugging it in and did not get an error message.

With the malfunctioning Feather M0, I haven't been able to upload any code, flash any new firmware, nada. This is exactly as it is out of the box because I was not able to get it to get past this first step. (The working one is a treat!)

Also, I had forgotten to attach photos of the board, so here it is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CesYG12QjNpfwHq76

dastels

Post by dastels »

OK. Seems pretty DOA. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one Adafruit Feather M0 with RFM95 LoRa Radio - 900MHz

Dave

imnotjames

Post by imnotjames »

Bummer, was worried that was the case -- but thanks for the quick feedback.

You rock, Dave. Hope you get to at least have some fun this weekend that's not helping folks on the forums. :)

dastels

Post by dastels »

Thanks. This is actually fun much of the time. And I'm also taking an online painting course that starts today.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”