Word builder Display project for Special Needs Grandson

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tomparish

Word builder Display project for Special Needs Grandson

Post by tomparish »

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on the right parts to assemble from Adafruit to build a device my 4 year old grandson can use and learn by playing. He has CP so his left arm and hand are not very strong and his vocal skills are still way behind others his age. Slowly, he's learning. It's an amazing thing to watch over time.

He is quite dazzled by displays and seems to have a strong hankering to interact with the devices.

So I want to help him create 2,3, and 4 letter words by turning a set of nobs or something that will challenge his fine motor skill development. The knobs (or whatever) would cycle through A-z. If there are four nobs he can adjust each one to form words.

I want to do this in Python. I have built all sorts of things but I'm not a strong coder. I take what's there and change it usually. But I'm fine with the electronics.

My question is: What Display is easiest to use to program what I'm attempting to do given I'm not a seasoned programmer. I'm retired. I have time and plenty of builder experience though. I'd like to just use all Adafruit devices if possible but keep it simple enough to be doable.

Thank you
Tom
Austin TX

Franklin97355

Re: Word builder Display project for Special Needs Grandson

Post by Franklin97355 »

Tom, What size of display will you need? There are plenty of components that will do what you want. I would look at "rotary encoders" for starters.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”