Bluefruit LE UART Friend Not Connecting

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thenags

Bluefruit LE UART Friend Not Connecting

Post by thenags »

Hello,
I recently purchased the Bluefruit LE UART Friend and I am trying to get it to connect with the Bluefruit Connect app (or any other app for that matter) to no avail. I am able to send and receive AT commands from my Arduino to the board using Software Serial, but when I enter DATA mode on the board, nothing shows up on my phone or is broadcasted. I have tried the things suggested in the guide for the board: resetting the app, phone, board itself, and factory resetting. Is there a key AT command I need to give the UART Friend in order to have it broadcast itself to the network? Or is something else wrong?

mikeysklar

Re: Bluefruit LE UART Friend Not Connecting

Post by mikeysklar »

What code are you running on the Arduino when trying to connect to the Bluefruit Connect app? Maybe start with the BLEUart example?

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... nd/bleuart

thenags

Post by thenags »

I uploaded the sketch you suggested and it ran without any errors, but it still didn't show up in the app. If it helps, here is the output from the info command:

Code: Select all

BLEFRIEND32
nRF51822 0x00D6
B74C74E78EA2D34A
Apr 30 2015
S110 8.0.0, 0.2
The LED is blinking twice meaning it is in DATA mode, but I am still unable to connect to it.

rooppoorali

Post by rooppoorali »

Have you tried this troubleshooting guideline? https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-le ... leshooting

thenags

Post by thenags »

Yep, still no luck. Is there a specific AT command that allows the board to be seen by other devices? Or is it supposed to happen automatically when the board is switched to DATA mode?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Is the switch on the Bluefruit LE module in CMD position? Is anything connected to the Mode pin (there should not be)?

This command will force the start of advertising packets, but it normally should be happening on its own.

AT+GAPSTARTADV
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... dv-2176697

What BLE devices are you trying to connect to the module with (eg. iPad iOS 15.6.1)?

thenags

Post by thenags »

The switch is in the CMD position, and nothing is connected to the mode pin. I got this when I try AT+GAPSTARTADV:

AT+GAPSTARTADV
ERROR
AT+GAPSTARTADV=?
OK
I tried on both iOS 16 Beta 5 and iPadOS 16 Beta 3 with no luck.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

AT+GAPSTARTADV
ERROR
The above is expected if the advertise was already running.

Maybe something other than beta for iOS devices? Do you have other BLE devices you can try to check with?

thenags

Post by thenags »

I tried the same with an iPad running iPad OS 15.6.1 with no luck.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Can you try doing this step-by-step data mode example without the microcontroller just the Bluefruit LE UART Friend?

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /data-mode

thenags

Post by thenags »

I followed the example; the board is blinking twice with a three second pause, just like the examples says, but it still isn't recognized by my device.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The Bluefruit LE Connect App should be seeing the module. Let’s try two more things:

1) Do the FCR force reset on the UART module so we know you are in a cleared state.
FCR: This is the factory reset pin. When all else fails and you did something to really weird out your module, tie this pad to ground while powering up the module and it will factory reset. You should try the DFU reset method first tho (see that tutorial page)
2) Post a photo of the wiring with your setup.

thenags

Post by thenags »

So I had another UART friend lying around that had a newer version,0.7.7, and that worked perfectly. Is it possible that the version has anything to do with this? If not, I only need one working for now and the 0.7.7 seems to work without any issues.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Yes, totally possible that the UART friend firmware needs to be updated. I had read your version of S110 8.0.0 as being current, but I take it that the 0.6.2 is the version you are running on the unit not connecting to your iOS and other devices.

There is a matrix showing compatible versions to UART friend versions. The latest firmware is 0.8.1.

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Bl ... E_Firmware

There are several upgrade utilities to choose from:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... -resources

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”