Help understanding pro trinket + backpack

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rosemagpie

Help understanding pro trinket + backpack

Post by Rosemagpie »

Hello!
I am VERY new to all this and struggling a lot due to my autism needing to see exactly how things are done and after ages of searching online I still can't seem to find an answer

How on earth do you solder the backpack to the pro trinket?

Do you need to use extra wires to join them together or do they just.. go? The one in my book has no extra cables, it just sits on top and I'm very confused..

the guide I am following for my set up basically has the backpack already attached to the protrinket and any other guides I found just go "now solder the backpack to the trinket" but don't say how or where?

Also, once it is on, do I need to continue to connect wires to it too, or only the pro-trinket?
Thank you!! I'm on a deadline and my brain just isnt braining

dastels

Re: Help understanding pro trinket + backpack

Post by dastels »

Did you read https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pro ... n-backpack?

The key is to use the piece of header with the three long pins. The Bat, G, and 5V holes/pads on the backpack line up with the BAT, G, and BUS holes/pads on the ProTrinket. Use the pins between the top of the ProTrinket and bottom of the backpack. solder them on the bottom of the ProTrinket and top of the backpack.

Why are you using a ProTrinket? As noted on the product page:
Deprecation Warning: The Pro Trinket bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Pro Trinket so that people can maintain some older projets, we no longer recommend it.
You might have trouble programming it.

Dave

Rosemagpie

Post by Rosemagpie »

I was told that the protrinket is the only one that the backpack can like.. sit on? if that makes sense?
maybe my intel is outdated..
I also have a trinket, does it connect to that too?

dastels

Post by dastels »

The original Trinket and ProTrinket are both depricated. And the backpack doesn't fit directly on the trinket although it can be wired on since the pins are there but not in the same place/order.

The backpack will fit directly on the ItsyBitsy boards to add battery & charging to them. Any of the Feather boards already have the battery/charghing support builtin.

Dave

Rosemagpie

Post by Rosemagpie »

I see thank you

while i have you,
every time I try to upload code on the ardunio ide to my trinket 5v i get the same message
"An error occurred while uploading the sketch"
The data pin number is correct to the code to what is plugged in

In the tools>board when it comes to doing the trinket 5v, the only options available are
Adafruit Trinket (ATtiny85 @8MHz)
and Adafruit Trinket (ATting85 @16MHz)
and neither of these options work for the normal trinket either

is there something else I am missing?

Rosemagpie

Post by Rosemagpie »

Also port is greyed out

dastels

Post by dastels »

As I said, the original (ATtiny85 based) Trinkets and the ProTrinkets are deprecated, as stated on the product page:
Deprecation Warning: The Trinket bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Trinket so that people can maintain some older projects, we no longer recommend it.
You'd do well to replace them with something more modern and better supported.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”