QT Py ESP32-C3 BLE connection problems

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xonea

QT Py ESP32-C3 BLE connection problems

Post by xonea »

Hi,

I recently got a QT Py ESP32-C3 for a project, where I have to establish a BLE connection to another device - and I am having a bit of problem with the QT Py here.

Basically, the connections with it are extremely flaky, even when the second device is right next to it; it will find it after a while and try to connect, but connections only are established very slowly in ~20% of cases, and it will then only either disconnect after a few seconds, or manage to transmit a very low number of commands before disconnecting again - which renders it essentially useless.

The sketch that I am using for testing is a very slight modification of the example ESP32 BLE client sketch, using the Android IDE. Using the exact same sketch on a random ESP32 dev board that I have laying around works flawlessly - it connects near instantaneously and is able to send commands without disconnecting. So I assume that the problem is with the QT Py.

Just to check if it might be some kind of antenna problem I tried connecting the QT Py to WiFi - which works great. I sadly don't have a second QT Py to check if the BLE connection problem is a problem with this specific board.

Does anyone here have any pointers for me? I assume this kind of behavior is not expected.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: QT Py ESP32-C3 BLE connection problems

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. I'm not aware of any problems with the ESP32-C3 doing BLE, but we usually focus on its Wifi ability.

Just to check, when did you get the board?

xonea

Post by xonea »

I got the board on August 12th from one of your UK resellers (Pimoroni).

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Thanks.. that's within our return/replace period.

Use a link to this page to let the folks at Pimoroni know we've approved a replacement. It should be easier for you to get a replacement locally, and the folks at Pimoroni can settle up with us behind the scenes. They can contact our business team at [email protected]

xonea

Post by xonea »

Thank you very much - I will contact them.

xonea

Post by xonea »

To close the circle on this - I just got the replacement unit. It seems to work flawlessly, connecting to the device immediately (using the exact same sketch).

So it apparently really was a hardware fault with one specific unit.

Thank you very much for the quick help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”