Help with wearable lights

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dmarie

Help with wearable lights

Post by dmarie »

Hi,
I am completely new to all of this, but have a vision in mind for lights to be attached in a dance leotard. What I am visualizing is that I would like 6 strands of lights (with about 7 lights about an inch apart on each strand) radiating out from a center point around the belly button, but would only like them to be on for a portion of the song. I'm needing it to be as comfortable and compact as possible also since it will be in/on a leotard, but will probably add a small shear skirt to help cover a battery pack or whatever I need to make this work and also need an easy way to turn them on/off when needed while dancing. I was also thinking of possibly adding additional random lights to the inside of the skirt, but that's secondary to the main strands. I've looked at several things on your site and am not sure what would work best and how to do this. I looked at some of the prewired strands, but they are spaced further away than I need and also looked at the conductive thread for sewing individual lights, which I thought would work better especially for the skirt portion so it wouldn't be to heavy and would flow better while dancing. Hoping I can make this work since I have no clue where to start.

dastels

Re: Help with wearable lights

Post by dastels »

Becky Stern has written many project guides focussed on wearable lighting: https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=beckystern. You're likely to get plenty of ideas from them.

Dave

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help with wearable lights

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

For a dance leotard with that many lights close together, I would recommend silicone coated wire rather than the conductive thread. The conductive thread has no insulation, so short circuits can easily occur if the wires touch each other. The silicone coated wire is just as flexible and comes in many colors, plus it is insulated.

It does require soldering the connections. But unlike the thread, you don't have to worry about the knots loosening up with movement.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2051

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”