Issues with Adafruit I2S 3W Speaker Bonnet for Pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
amenon2

Issues with Adafruit I2S 3W Speaker Bonnet for Pi

Post by amenon2 »

I have been ordering PID 3346 (3W Stereo Amplifier Bonnet for Raspberry Pi) for over a year now, with no issues. The most recent batch of 40 bonnets ordered in August 2022 don't seem to work at all. The bonnet is installed on a PCB with pinouts described in the Adafruit Guide. At first I thought it was an issue with the PCB, but have ruled this out, as I tested a few speaker bonnets from an order I placed in May 2022, and it works fine.
Power is being delivered to the board (tested with multimeter) but no audio output. I have ruled out software as the cause, as I tested the same set up with the older batch of bonnets, and those work just fine.
Was there a change in the pinouts that was not documented or is this the result of a faulty batch, because all 40 don't work.
Using this on a raspberry pi model 4B 8GB. Using PID 1669 for the speakers (Stereo Enclosed Speaker Set - 3W 4 Ohm).

Franklin97355

Re: Issues with Adafruit I2S 3W Speaker Bonnet for Pi

Post by Franklin97355 »

Sorry to hear that. Are you in the US? And, can you post a picture of the bonnet and the product label so we can research our supply?

amenon2

Post by amenon2 »

Yes, in Chicago. Attaching image of one of the boards. Do you need all 40?
IMG_3962.jpg
IMG_3962.jpg (479.73 KiB) Viewed 170 times
IMG_3961.jpg
IMG_3961.jpg (443.79 KiB) Viewed 170 times

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

No, that should be OK. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread they should give you information on returning them for a refund or replacement.

amenon2

Post by amenon2 »

Adafruit shipped out replacements for this, however, the batch numbers on the replacements are the same as the defective ones in my original post. I tested the boards at random (with numbers on the back of the board; 0922 and 0722) and none of them work.
I tested another board from an order a few months ago (batch number 4621) and that works just fine.
Is this a known issue?

Thanks.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

amenon - there was a slight change but not one that would have affected functionality and they all pass test. are the bonnets installed directly onto a raspberry pi with something else? we'll also check stock.

amenon2

Post by amenon2 »

They are installed on a PCB board we designed, but I have also tested them directly on the pi's. There was no change to our PCB design or components. And the older bonnets work just fine when installed on the PCB and directly on the Pi. Are there any changes needed during the set up that is not mentioned in the tutorial? Please let me know stock availability of bonnets that are not part of 0922/0722 batch. Need a minimum of 20 as soon as possible.
Thank you.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok there aren't any older ones in stock since its a revision - please try this if you can - this is just to get you going fast :)

cut the "SD" jumper from being connected to #4 (left hand side of the PCB) and solder a wire from SD jumper middle pad to one of the 5V pad rings. i can make a drawing if you need.

amenon2

Post by amenon2 »

thanks, drawing will be helpful.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (755.15 KiB) Viewed 143 times

amenon2

Post by amenon2 »

thanks for the drawing. This worked. Will this fix be addressed in future batches? Not going to be fun doing this for all 40 bonnets :(
Thanks again.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

it will be - but its not going to be instant - its still faster for you to probably fix up the boards you have if time is important to you. if convenience is more important we can arrange RMA but it could be a couple weeks till we fix the stock!

mfraz74

Post by mfraz74 »

Is this mod going to have to be done on all models with a batch number of 0922 and what are those pads for? Nothing in the documentation.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we're not actually sure the mod is 'required' for anyone else - this was a special use case. the mod allows folks to use GPIO 4 for shutdown/mute if desired (before, mute was not disable-able)

mfraz74

Post by mfraz74 »

adafruit2 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:53 pm we're not actually sure the mod is 'required' for anyone else - this was a special use case. the mod allows folks to use GPIO 4 for shutdown/mute if desired (before, mute was not disable-able)
I notice that this is mentioned on this PR, but the documentation doesn't mention it or the gain pads.
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-St ... PCB/pull/2

Confused about this "update silkscreen (now right-side output is actually RIGHT channel", is the silkscreen on rev D correct?

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”