Addressable LED matrix for classroom use

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MrReed

Addressable LED matrix for classroom use

Post by MrReed »

I am a computer science teacher with students working on Raspberry pi 3 computers with 2x20 GPIO pins.

I am looking to purchase an addressable LED matrix to use in a classroom setting so students can draw text, shapes, etc. I would like students to be able to control the colour of each individual LED in their code and possibly use it to make a very simple game by moving the different lights around. What is the largest addressable LED matrix that you stock and which "HAT" would it need to make it work with a raspberry pi 3?

Thanks in advance for any advice you give me to get this project off the ground.

:)

dastels

Re: Addressable LED matrix for classroom use

Post by dastels »

You'll most likely want a Matrix Hat https://www.adafruit.com/product/2345 and one of the 64x64 matrices from https://www.adafruit.com/category/327.

Dave

MrReed

Post by MrReed »

Thanks for the reply. :)

The website says the following about the 64x64 LED matrix:

"You can use these matrices with our RGB Matrix Bonnet for Raspberry Pi, RGB Matrix HAT (you'll need to connect a solder jumper), or Matrix Portal (ditto, jumper required). Other libraries such as our Arduino shield with Adafruit library, or our HDMI driver boards, don't support 5-address multiplexing! Check that your driver board is ok with 5-address displays first before purchasing."

Is the "driver board" the same thing as the RGB Matrix HAT?

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yes. The Matrix Hat is a LED matrix driver board.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”