Hallowing LiPoly battery

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flashvenom

Hallowing LiPoly battery

Post by flashvenom »

I needed a big battery to keep my little eye going. I just got a 3.7v 2800mA off amazon... This one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXK8SW4?ps ... ct_details

I plugged it in and it's been plugged in via USB for some time now. But I can't seem to power it from the battery. Am I missing something? My multimeter reads 3.99v when I put the pins on the connectors behind the JST port.

Any help would be appreciated!

flashvenom

Re: Hallowing LiPoly battery

Post by flashvenom »

Uhhh. I figured I would try plugging the battery into my feather M0 express. The charge light was on, but I started smelling burnt plastic and saw the magic smoke. (Didn't have time to see if it was blue or not hah)
Whats weird is I don't see any damage and the feather is still working like a champ.

Maybe this battery is just bad?

Or maybe this battery has some chips on it that don't play nice with my adafruit stuff?

As you can tell, I'm new to all this haha

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Unfortunately several of the batteries that Amazon resells have the power/ground wires reversed. I have some non-Adafruit batteries that I need to rewire, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't know if the gear you have now is toast. In the future you should check if the wires correspond with the plug in your unit. All Adafruit batteries are wired the same way.

If the wires are reversed, you will need to cut them and solder in a plug with the correct wire layout.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can also rearrange the wires in a JST-PH2 plug without cutting the wires.

The terminals have a small hook at the bottom. The plug has a pair of plastic tabs that catch the hooks and keep the terminals from being pulled out the back of the plug.

You can lift the tabs over the hooks with a small probe, like a needle or a toothpick, and pull the wires out. Then you can re-insert the wires so they match the polarity we use:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/258

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”