Neopixel side light strip broke inside

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Fozzy0007

Neopixel side light strip broke inside

Post by Fozzy0007 »

Hi,
I purchased the 1 meter 60 LED Side light neopixel strip: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3636 a month ago and finally got to playing with it. i got this specifically because it was the length i needed and would bend perpendicular to the LED facing.

Is it expected there there be 3 or so soldered joints in the middle of the strip? Most of the strip shows the unsoldered copper pads, but my strip wasn't lighting up past the 12th pixel and i realized that instead of copper pads (that seem to be flexible), there were soldered pads. as if the strip had been put together. I thought that may be the case over a 1 meter, but this was about 1/4 through, and there are 2 next to each other.

I see that my strip has 3 soldered joints total in the strip. I can break open the silicone sleeve and fix this, but I was hoping to use the strip intact as it is.

Here is a pick of the 2 next to each other. the next one is about 18 neopixels further away.
2 solder joins next to each other. one broke.
2 solder joins next to each other. one broke.
broken_strip.jpg (430.1 KiB) Viewed 62 times
My main question is: Is this expected in a 1 meter strip? The solder joints don't flex anywhere near the copper pads (i wasn't crimping, i was going around a softarc) i didn't realize there were brittle connections in the strip as well. I've seen mention on some other strips (going over 1 meter increments, or buying other pieces, but didn't see it mentioned for this particular strip).

Thanks,
Brian

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Neopixel side light strip broke inside

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The manufacturer only makes strips of a certain length, so getting a joint in the middle of a strip is highly likely. Having a joint break is unusual, but not impossible.

Do you feel comfortable resoldering the connections?

Fozzy0007

Post by Fozzy0007 »

Is it common to have 2 joints next to each? there were 3 joints total in the 1 meter strip: The 2 next to each other 12 pixels and then another at about the halfway point of the strip. I didn't expect so many in a single 1 meter strip. Just want to set my expectations correctly as i decide on parts in the future.

I was able to solder the strip together (I likely need a better soldering iron with a smaller tip, but i did manage to get it working again. Unsure how strong my solder joint is, so trying to be extremely careful. I had to cut away the silicone a tad, so it doesn't look great right now, but managing :)

Thanks!
Brian

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Three joints in a strip isn't typical, but manufacturers will assemble whatever they can.

The broken joint isn't a complete failure, but you did have to do extra work to deal with it. Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will set you up with $10 of shop credit.

Fozzy0007

Post by Fozzy0007 »

Oh thank you! Very much appreciated. I just got an email regarding the credit. so, it looks like you already found my account.

Again, thank you for both the info and the credit.

Brian

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”