HUZZAH32 Feather board and e-paper driver HAT in ESPhome

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jeroentuinstra

HUZZAH32 Feather board and e-paper driver HAT in ESPhome

Post by jeroentuinstra »

I am a little bit at a loss and can't seem to find anywhere help in getting this to work.
I have an adafruit HUZZAH32 feather board (ESP32-WROOM-32E). I also have a Waveshare Universal e-Paper Driver HAT. I know the HAT works with the feather board because I can get it to work with the GxEPD library in Arduino IDE.
If I use the exact same Pin settings as I use in the IDE in ESPhome yaml, it doesn't work - the screen does absolutely nothing. I don't get any error messages in the logs of ESPhome.

I have posted also in the forums of ESPhome to see if anyone could help me there, but there is little to no support from their side with this HAT and this board.

Could anyone explain how I would have to connect the SPI connector on the HAT to the feather board? Are there specific pins that should be used and which ones can be chosen myself?

Does anyone know if the HUZZAH32 Feather board is compatible with ESPhome at all?
These are the pin settings I used with Arduino IDE:

Code: Select all

BUSY -> 4, RST -> 16, DC -> 17, CS -> SS(22), CLK -> SCK(5), DIN -> MOSI(18), GND -> GND, 3.3V -> 3.3V
Using these same settings in my yaml for ESPhome, it doesn't do anything:

spi:
  clk_pin: 5
  mosi_pin: 18

display:
  - platform: waveshare_epaper
    cs_pin: 22
    dc_pin: 17
    busy_pin: 4
    reset_pin: 16
    model: 7.50inV2
    update_interval: 30sec
    lambda: |-
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jeroentuinstra

Re: HUZZAH32 Feather board and e-paper driver HAT in ESPhome

Post by jeroentuinstra »

Solved the problem. In the end ESPhome required one extra line before the driver HAT could operate:

reset_duration: 2ms
Once this was added everything worked fine.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”