Homing a stepper motor hat for my raspberry pi

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
danielgeri

Homing a stepper motor hat for my raspberry pi

Post by danielgeri »

Hello! I am new to the raspberry pi world. I have a project where I want to use the stepper motor hat from adafruit (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dc- ... ing-motors) along with some type of homing mechanism (e.g. hall effect sensor). Does anyone have any guidance on what type of homing mechanism I could use and how to connect it to the adafruit stepper motor hat?

EDIT: I also found this which seems related/helpful but I'm not sure how to parse the answer: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=115770

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Homing a stepper motor hat for my raspberry pi

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are lots of options for a home sensor: Mechanical microswitches, optical slot sensors, hall effect and inductive proximity sensors are some of the more commonly used ones. The choice often depends on the mechanical design of the system and what mounting options there are. From a coding perspective, they are all pretty much the same.

danielgeri

Post by danielgeri »

I see! Super helpful! How would I connect a hall sensor to the stepper motor hat linked above? Would that even be the correct place to connect the sensor to?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

As noted in the thread you linked, you can use any of the GPIO pins indicated on the photo. These signals are just passed through from the Pi header and are not used by the HAT itself. You can connect the sensor to one of these pins and configure it as a digital input: https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... tal-inputs

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”