Did I get a dud QT Py RP2040?

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
billfred

Did I get a dud QT Py RP2040?

Post by billfred »

My program ordered two QT Py RP2040 units. Connected each with a known-good USB-C cable to my PC, and each powered up into a cycling color pattern on the NeoPixel but didn't present a drive. I suspected I'd jumped to conclusions about what it shipped with, so I set to installing CircuitPython.

Downloaded CircuitPython 7.3.3 from the website, and I was able to install it on one of the boards just fine. The other doesn't present the RPI-RP2 drive regardless of whether I hold down the BOOT button on connecting the cable or by using the RST button technique in the Adafruit Learning System article.

That makes me think a dud slipped through the cracks (it happens!), but I'd be happy to try any other troubleshooting before a replacement.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Did I get a dud QT Py RP2040?

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Plug in the USB cable first. Then hold the BOOT button down while pressing the RST button. That should bring up the RPI-RP2 folder.

billfred

Post by billfred »

Plugged in cable to suspect board. Held down BOOT, pressed and released RST (NeoPixel turned off while RST was pressed then resumed its color wheel routine), continued to hold down BOOT for a 20-count. No response in Windows.

Other board behaved as expected with the same steps/cable/PC (and presented RPI-RP2 folder much sooner).

adafruit_support_carter

Weird. Helps that there's a second board for testing to verify the expected behavior. Almost seems like a mechanical issue. Like maybe something wrong with the reset button? Can you post a photo of the top side of the problematic QT PY so we can check for anything obvious.

billfred

Post by billfred »

I took angles of both the good and suspect one, as well as some way-too-much-iPhone-zoom closeups. Here's the imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/mP0z6IR

adafruit_support_carter

Wow! Excellent photos. Thanks!

Nothing super obvious. Probably something very small and marginal. Let's just replace it.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement QT Py RP2040.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”