Prop-Maker Runtime - No pull up found on SDA or SCL

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tigerstorms

Prop-Maker Runtime - No pull up found on SDA or SCL

Post by tigerstorms »

Hello there, I've recently gotten my self a Adafruit Prop-Maker FeatherWing and Adafruit Feather M4 Express and got it setup per the lightsaber guide. I got it working for a whole 3 days until suddenly I got an error stopping the project. Going online I was able to find out what the flashing Neopixel on the board meant. Hooked it to the computer using the Mu Editor and ran serial to find this error.

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "code.py", line 60, in <module>
RuntimeError: No pull up found on SDA or SCL; check your wiring 
The code is from https://learn.adafruit.com/lightsaber-f ... g/software and line 60 is

Code: Select all

i2c = busio.I2C(board.SCL, board.SDA)
I re-applied my solder on both board headers to see if maybe something happened to break something when I was testing, however I've had no luck. I've tested the feather m4 with some other applications and it appears to be working fine but maybe the FeatherWing went bad? I was only testing it with a 144 neo pixels strip, speaker, and RGB switch that all came with the project. Please let me know if there is anything I can try doing on the FeatherWing as this is my first experience with them.

dastels

Re: Prop-Maker Runtime - No pull up found on SDA or SCL

Post by dastels »

This is usually a connection/soldering problem.

Can you post clear closeups of your soldering?

Sometimes CircuitPython seems to get a bit confused. Try disconnecting USB and the battery (is any). and let the board sit for a few minutes, then power it up again. If it still doesn't work I'd reinstall the latest version of CircuitPython and see if that helps.

Dave

tigerstorms

Post by tigerstorms »

I pulled out my Volt Ohm tester and checked the connection between the pins, they all appear to connect just fine with each other. I'm guessing something must have gotten on the pins because I cleaned it all up with 70% and waited for it to dry to take the pictures but now it's working just fine. I thought it might have been a connection problem at first too which is why I re-soldered the pins to the boards I didn't think something might have gotten in to the pin holders to cause problems but that appears to have been the trouble. Thank you

dastels

Post by dastels »

Awesome!

It could have been a story bit of wire of spec of solder. It doesn't take much.

Dave

andyfinlay

Post by andyfinlay »

Hi!

I am having this exact problem now! I had everything working fine a couple of days ago, lights, sound, accelerometer effects. I left it on my bench for a few days and came back to it this morning to start fitting into my hilt.

I am now getting the double red-light flash on the Feather M4 and nothing happens on the button push.

In my Python editor I am seeing the RuntimeError: No pull up found on SDA or SCL; check your wiring

My solders look good, on both the Feather and the Feather wing. my headers look okay. and I havent touched it between it working and now not working!

any tips?

Thanks!

dastels

Post by dastels »

First, make sure you are using the latest CircuitPython and libraries.

Dave

andyfinlay

Post by andyfinlay »

Thanks Dave,

I have just reloaded Curcuit Pyton (7.3.3) and downloaded the correct libraries. But I am still getting the same error in serial console.

if its helpful...a few pictures of the SDA SCL solder joints.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_7131.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7131.jpg (219.31 KiB) Viewed 73 times
thumbnail_IMG_7132.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7132.jpg (221.39 KiB) Viewed 73 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

I'd clean up that soldering. Some of the header connections look dubious. See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering and https://learn.adafruit.com/collins-lab-soldering for tips.

Dave

andyfinlay

Post by andyfinlay »

Haha! Thanks, here’s me thinking they looked okay!

It’s my first time doing soldering since I was at school (~18 years ago) so I’m not surprised!

I’ll try and clean them up tonight and see if it improves things!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”