Portable Key/Remote Finder

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bickyb

Portable Key/Remote Finder

Post by bickyb »

I tend to lose my TV remotes a lot. I wanted to make a portable battery powered finder and thought I can use the ESP8266/ESP32 and have it battery powered to make sound on a buzzer when a URL is called. The problems I see are that the ESP will drain the battery a lot being constantly on. I was thinking the way around this would be to have the device go to sleep and only wake up every 5 minutes or so to check if messages had been left on an MQTT topic, telling the device to make a sound when it woke up.
The problems with this is there would be an inherent delay since one would have to wait for the delay to go by before they could listen for their lost device.
Any ideas on how to make this idea better and battery efficient?

rooppoorali

Re: Portable Key/Remote Finder

Post by rooppoorali »

ESP32 can operate in power saving modes. There are low-power modes like deep sleep, light sleep, hibernation etc. You can check all the modes here: https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/ ... modes.html

See and find out which mode is perfect for your application.

bickyb

Re: Portable Key/Remote Finder

Post by bickyb »

Yes, I am aware of the power saving modes. I was trying to get some guidance on how I might be able to maximize the battery life of a key/remote finder for this type of setup.
I was thinking to have the device sleep and wake up every few minutes to check and see if there is a message on MQTT waiting for it. The problem with this setup is that there would be a delay before the remote finder would play a sound. I am trying to see if someone had a better idea.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”