Piezoelectric ribbon sensor specification

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Shabnamar

Piezoelectric ribbon sensor specification

Post by Shabnamar »

Hi there,
I had a number of questions regarding the piezoelectric ribbon sensor or any other piezo sensor you have that can be used for my application.
application: I want the sensor to detect the vessel wall deformation and send the data to a PC for further analysis.
1- what is the range of deformation these sensors can detect?
2- what is the voltage and/or current range they generate in response to these deformations?
3- what kind of deformation are these sensors able to detect? (stretch, bending, impact, or a combination)
4- What components are needed to assemble the sensor circuit? (resistors, wires...)
5- How to attach the sensor to the oscilloscope? (do we need any special type of oscilloscope?)
6- Can we use an amplifier with this sensor? (what are the specifications of the amplifier and how to put it in the circuit?)

Thanks,
Shabnam.

rooppoorali

Re: Piezoelectric ribbon sensor specification

Post by rooppoorali »

Looks like here you will find the information about the additional circuitry.

https://docs.arduino.cc/built-in-examples/sensors/Knock

If a 1 Mega-ohm resistor is placed across the two terminals you will see the current converted into a voltage that can be read by an analog-to-digital converter (ADC).

Basically, connect one tab to ground, another tab to the ADC input of your microcontroller or ADC, and a 1M resistor across both, then read the analog input while touching/poking/twisting the piezo element and you'll see little spikes of voltage whenever the piezo has vibrated.
And regarding the oscilloscope connection, you may get some clues from here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyuhtnQiOx4

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”