Defective QT Pys (?)

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rmvsintheta

Defective QT Pys (?)

Post by rmvsintheta »

Received my order today (Invoice: 2926226 ), and I tried connecting one of the ESP32-S3 QT Pys up to my computer to load the latest Circuitpython build. I got an error message from Windows saying "USB device not recognized", and it doesn't show up as a COM port. No status LEDs either; I tried resetting several times but still nothing.

I tried the other Qt Py (I ordered two), and this one did show up connected as a COM Port and flashed a rainbow cycle pattern on its LED, but it didn't show up as a CIRCUITPY drive. I followed the steps on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... tory-reset and tried the ESP web flasher, but I kept getting the error message "Couldn't sync to ESP. Try resetting." (I've copied the utility's output below.)

I'm pretty sure I"m using a good data cable because I've used it to upload firmware to, and generally upload code to two other Feather boards (an ESP32-S3 TFT Feather and regular ESP32-S3 Feather), and I use the same cable to send commands to an ESP32-S2 based laser cutter.

I suspect the first QT Py that doesn't connect at all has a manufacturing defect (see images below- the chip looks visibly skewed, but I'm not sure about the other one. Are there any further steps I should take to troubleshoot, or should I return?

(ESP Web Flasher output below: attempted to connect a few times...)

ESP Web Flasher loaded.
Connecting...
Connected successfully.
Try hard reset.
[Object.debug:187] Finished read loop
Error: Couldn't sync to ESP. Try resetting.
Connecting...
Connected successfully.
Try hard reset.
Connecting...
Connected successfully.
Try hard reset.
Connecting...
Connected successfully.
Try hard reset.
Connecting...
Connected successfully.
Try hard reset.
Attachments
20220927_113258.jpg
20220927_113258.jpg (217.13 KiB) Viewed 72 times
20220927_113255.jpg
20220927_113255.jpg (212.74 KiB) Viewed 72 times
20220927_113325.jpg
20220927_113325.jpg (254.81 KiB) Viewed 72 times

Franklin97355

Re: Defective QT Pys (?)

Post by Franklin97355 »

If one S3 QTPY works and the other one does not Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and they will get you a replacement.

rmvsintheta

Post by rmvsintheta »

Thanks for the response! I guess my problem is both seem to be defective in different ways, and I'd rather see if there are steps I should take for the other semi-unresponsive board before I send it back. I'd rather not take two trips to the post office if I can help it!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

what version of windows are you running
when you hold down the BOOT button and then plug into usb, does anything appear in device manager

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I tried the other Qt Py (I ordered two), and this one did show up connected as a COM Port and flashed a rainbow cycle pattern on its LED, but it didn't show up as a CIRCUITPY drive.
This is expected behavior. The CircuitPython firmware will need to be loaded first.

I followed the steps on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... tory-reset and tried the ESP web flasher, but I kept getting the error message "Couldn't sync to ESP. Try resetting." (I've copied the utility's output below.)
Try again but first manually put the board in bootloader mode:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... de-3106832

rmvsintheta

Post by rmvsintheta »

Thanks adafruit2 and adafruit_support_carter!

@adafruit2 I did manage to get the board working by holding down the BOOT button and plugging the board in- the ESP web flasher worked perfectly from there, and I managed to load in circuitpython and run some test code/stemma breakouts without issue. Just for reference I am running Windows 11.

@adafruit_support_carter Didn't see your post until after the problem was solved, but in retrospect I think I accidentally skipped the bootloader mode step- will keep in mind for the future.

Just to be sure, I tried all of the above with the other (skewed-chip) board but no dice- will go through with returning that one.

Thanks again!

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Cool. Glad the other one works. Yep, seems like just a missed step in the install. No worries, just happy that one is working as expected.

Yep - email [email protected] to get the other one replaced.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”