FX sound board can I get by with (2) 1 watt speakers?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pzindy

FX sound board can I get by with (2) 1 watt speakers?

Post by pzindy »

I have ordered a couple of these to use to add audio to some 3d prints. I have one of the 2MB version FX sound breadboarded up to a single 3" 3 watt speaker and it is working the way I expect and sound good. Sounds for this one are mono and I only have one speaker connected.

My 2nd project will require stereo (I have 16 MB for that one). Space is limited inside the 3d print. I have found some smaller speakers that would fit, but they are only rated for 1 watt. Could I get by or will I instantly blow out the speaker(s). Not looking for excessive volume.

Is the board delivering 2.2 W to each speaker (or half of that to each speaker?)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: FX sound board can I get by with (2) 1 watt speakers?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What is the impedance rating of your speakers?

The amp can output as much as 2W per channel into 4 ohm speakers - or 1 watt per channel into 8 ohm speakers.

8 ohm speakers are more common. But if you have 4 ohm speakers, you should still be OK if you avoid running them at full volume.

pzindy

Re: FX sound board can I get by with (2) 1 watt speakers?

Post by pzindy »

Thank you, that helps. Actually I have not actually ordered the speakers yet, Some of the ones I was looking at were 4ohm and some were 8 ohm. After your reply it sounds like these would work and be reasonable safe: Product ID: 3923

They are 1w, 8 ohm. sounds like they would work and the form factor would work for my project.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”