Adafruit PyPortal Cannot Access Bootloader

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cvanbeek

Adafruit PyPortal Cannot Access Bootloader

Post by cvanbeek »

I just purchased a new Adafruit PyPortal. I can see when it boots up, it's running CircuitPython 4.0.0-beta.5. I want to update to CircuitPython 7 so that I can run my app, but no matter what I do, I cannot access the bootloader. I've tried double-clicking hundreds of times at different intervals, and nothing works.

I found the bootloader sequence in the troubleshooting guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... er-3105719. It looks like I just need to make sure I click a second time before 500 ms elapse. I have tried waiting until the red LED comes on, and that seems to boot into safe mode, because the code doesn't run, although I also don't get any light then on the RGB LED.

I can access the filesystem for the code, so I know that my USB has a data connection.

Please let me know what else I can try to get the bootloader to run.

Best regards,
Cory

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Adafruit PyPortal Cannot Access Bootloader

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Check here to see if any of the known reasons for the boot folder not showing up apply:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... leshooting

cvanbeek

Post by cvanbeek »

I got the bootloader to work finally. It turns out it took about 3 minutes to pop-up on my computer after I double-clicked the reset button.

I uploaded the 7.3.3 uf2 file. That transfers over and the PORTALBOOT window closes. However, the CIRCUITPY drive never appears. I waited 15 minutes but nothing shows up. When I restart, the LED is solid yellow, which isn't even an option on the troubleshooting page.

I tried clearing the CIRCUITPY to just start over. I downloaded the PyPortal M4 Express (QSPI) clear uf2 file and copied it into the PORTALBOOT. After a few minutes, the light turns green. I then reflashed the new 7.3.3 uf2 file. The same thing happened though: the CIRCUITPY drive never shows up.

Best regards,
Cory

adafruit_support_carter

Do you have access to another PC? Seems like something may be interfering on the one being used.

cvanbeek

Post by cvanbeek »

I tried on another laptop and got the same result.

I did notice that the INFO_UF2.TXT file was showing I was running an old version of the bootloader after I did the filesystem clearing UF2. It doesn't seem like it's taking the 7.3.3 UF2 file. I was able to upload the bootloader, and I can tell that it took because the INFO_UF2.TXT file shows the new 3.14.0 version for the bootloader. Even with the uploaded bootloader, I still cannot get the 7.3.3 UF2 file to download to the device.

Best regards,
Cory

adafruit_support_carter

Let's try updating the bootloader. This a separate UF2 file than the CircuitPython firmware. Can download it from here:
https://circuitpython.org/board/pyportal/

Scroll all the way to the bottom to the UpdateUF2 Bootloader section.
Click the link button to download the updater UF2.
Drag that UF2 to the PORTALBOOT folder.
Can use the INFO_UF2.TXT file to verify the bootloader has been updated.

cvanbeek

Post by cvanbeek »

Hi Carter,

I figured out the issue this morning. I had a Adafruit MCP9600 Thermocouple Amplifier connected to the I2C connector, but I hadn't changed the solder bridge to 3.3V mode. I noticed when I unplugged the connector, it started booting to CircuitPython.

The bootloader update worked fine per my previous post. We can close this issue.

Best regards,
Cory

adafruit_support_carter

Ah, OK. That would explain it. Sorry, probably should have though of that possibility sooner:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pyp ... aq-3023716

Glad you figured it out though. Hopefully will just work now. Have fun!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”