7" LCD 1667 display appears defective

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jklowden

7" LCD 1667 display appears defective

Post by jklowden »

I'm sorry to say the monitor appears defective. Picture attached. The right 3/4 of the screen is just colorful vertical lines.

I didn't remove the plastic film that protects the surface. I did plug it into a known-good source, the HDMI output of my cable-TV box. I fiddled with the switches a bit, but I couldn't see much. I was disappointed there was no printed documentation included.

The order number is 2925657. The item on the invoice is listed as:

1 x 7" Display 1280x800 (720p) IPS + Speakers - HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL[ID:1667] = $169.95

I emailed all this information yesterday to support@ but, sigh, they told me I'd have to post it here first. Well, third. First, I was sent either 1) a defective device or 2) a working device with no documentation to adjust it by. The second action was to contact support.
Attachments
lcd-800.jpg
lcd-800.jpg (143.83 KiB) Viewed 73 times

adafruit_support_carter

Re: 7" LCD 1667 display appears defective

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Just to try sanity checking the video source being used - do you know if it's able to adjust to the PID 1667 display resolution? Or as another way to check, is there another video source that could be used?

When you tried the buttons, did the on screen display come on at all? (Menu button)

jklowden

Post by jklowden »

I have only two HDMI sources, and I don't know how they behave. One is the cable-TV box that powers my television; the other is a small fanless industrial box that I currently can't ssh into. That box is why I bought the monitor.

The picture I attached was with the monitor not connected to anything.

The monitor can be viewed and adjusted independent of any input, right? Hoping against hope, I hooked it up to see if there was any change, but there was not.

Fiddling with the buttons, I could see a word on the lower left that looked like some kind of soft-button description, and a word in the middle of the left along the line of "speaker" or "display". At no point did the right side of the screen clear.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

OK, thanks for the additional testing and info. Seems like it's not just maybe something with the HDMI signal. Let's just replace it.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and they can send you a replacement PID 1667 display.

jklowden

Post by jklowden »

Thank you. The display arrived today and works as advertised.

My headless box got a new IP address from DHCP after my ISP replaced the cable modem. Once I had that sorted out, everything started working again.
xterm -font 10x20 #for the eyes
xterm -font 10x20 #for the eyes
teak.gui.png (617 KiB) Viewed 41 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”